Cat Suddenly Scared To Come Inside

Ruthmart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some advice about my rescue cat, Rocky, who I adopted six months ago. He is a super friendly 4 year old former stray who settled in really well but he has had a rough month. His partner in crime who we adopted at the same time sadly passed away a month ago - she was very ill and we have since discovered that they both also tested positive for FIV and coronavirus.

Shortly after she was euthanised we discovered he had severe gingivostomatitis and he stopped eating due to the pain in his mouth. Several trips to the vet later, he had two teeth extracted. He seemed to recover well and is now eating normally. However almost a week ago he suddenly freaked out in the kitchen - seemingly at nothing - and is now afraid of that room. Unfortuately that room is the entry into the house, the place where he eats and sleeps (when he isn't curled up with us). At first he dashed through the room at lightning speed to get in and out of the house but for the past two days he has refused to come inside at all which means that he is staying outside all night. He will only eat outside and won't come within a few metres of the kitchen/back door. He won't be coaxed inside even with food and if I try to pick him up to bring him inside he gets agitated and I don't want to stress him any further given his FIV status and the tough time he's had lately.

As a former stray he is pretty streetwise and also doesn't really wander beyond our garden but I'm not happy with him staying out all night - he is neutered but I think there are other cats around who might pick a fight and this morning he appeared with a nasty scratch on a nose.

No idea what spooked him - I did wonder if maybe an insect bit him. No evidence of fleas and he is up to date with quality flea treatments but I've sprayed the house with indorex just in case.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and do they have any advice? I will try to bring him in again tonight as I don't want him getting into scraps after dark but he is a big cat and he does tend to get very upset if he is manhandled against his will!

Many thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! A noise that you couldn't here, an insect bite, it can be so challenging to know. I'm sorry that happened, how frustrating!

What if you try a couple things; see if, by whatever means, you can get calming treats into him. There's Composure, Calm-o-mile, etc.
Also try a calming diffuser in the kitchen, there's feliway, thunderease and sentry, and I could imagine there are other companies that have them.
Also try classical harp music, or/and there are apps, Relax My Cat and others with ocean sounds et al. in the kitchen
Then you might start to work on getting him in, keeping him in and beginning to feed him inside...
All the best of luck to you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ruthmart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for your suggestions! I've bought a Feliway diffuser which should hopefully arrive today but I hadn't thought about calming cat treats - I've just ordered some of those! Hopefully that will help make a difference :-)