Cat suddenly getting more aggressive?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simon has generally been a very friendly cat, if at times overbearing with his desire to be on top of you ALL OF THE TIME. He was put on Prozac a couple of weeks ago to help with some ongoing behavior issues relating to separation anxiety, and for the first few weeks, it worked wonders (though, to be fair, he was also going through a herpesvirus/URI flare-up so it could've just been him not feeling so well and not the meds after all).

About a week and a half ago, we were playing a version of peek-a-boo that my previous pets (both cats and dog) have loved, where I pop up over the side of my bed and either they come to find me or I pop up and surprise them. However, this time, it's like it startled Simon so severely that he forgot who I was or something. He had a very blank stare on his face, shrank way back, his tail poofed up, and he lunged at me several times in an attempt to scratch and bite me. Honestly, for a few minutes, I was petrified of this cat and thought he had had a mini-stroke or something. It was behavior that you'd expect from a feral cat, not one you'd had sleeping in your bed every night. Now, once he calmed down, he was right back to being the same lovey guy he'd always been - but I've found myself a little more hesitant to play like that with him, lest he have another 'episode'. He has also become aggressive to the point of violence in terms of getting to our food if we dare eat around him (He gets plenty of cat food, but he acts like he's starving). Today, he was so desperate to get to a piece of leftover pizza crust that he scratched my hands and arms up while I was trying to get it away from him.

I don't know what the sudden shift in behavior is all about, but it's concerning, for sure. I've scheduled an appointment for Monday morning to have some blood drawn (I included a note/pdf file, describing his behavior to the vet, and I'm assuming the vet will determine from there which tests would be most appropriate - though this, with his physical symptoms, leads me to worry about something like hyperthyroidism).

Have any of y'all had cats that have sudden shifts in behavior like this?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. More than one possibility here. Please hang in here with me. Long post!
My cat Mackie does this any time he gets out the door. He instantly reverts to a feral, survival mode. The look of not recognizing me, the aggression, growling and attacking anything that moves. He started doing this after he had been an indoor cat for awhile. He is a rescue and I know that , although he seemed fairly calm outside when I found him, he had strong survival instincts and must have experienced some fear. He only does this when he is scared. I have seen it in other cats as well. It’s also similar to the look cats get when they are totally focused on prey or predator. The eyes sort if glaze over, the pupils can dilate or contract. Anything moving causes tail or back muscle twitching. It can be caused by excitement but also I have seen aggressive behavior in cats due to previous abuse or from a sudden pain or health issue. Checking his health is the first priority. I always look at health first. It can be as simple as gas pain to a dental issue or any number of things we don’t recognize at first.
You mentioned Prozac. That could be helpful but can also work in the opposite manner for some. It usually takes a little time for it to fully get integrated into the system. Maybe it hasn’t had time to work yet or maybe it is not the medicine for him. There are other options. When it is a sudden behavior change I usually think of discomfort of some sort first.
Food. Besides some foods causing digestive discomfort or allergic reactions, cats that have EVER had to hunt food or missed meals can really be prey oriented and/or be food driven. They know that food is not always available and take advantage of it whenever it is present. Even in pampered cats, if any nutritional needs have been missing, the drive is almost desperate.
Playing peek a boo is something some of my cats love. A game of chase too. I cannot do that with all though. Again, it can be seen by a cat as a predator or prey type of movement. ( especially if they don’t feel totally well!) Until you have fully investigated his current conditions and have them under control, I would keep all his food and play activities at floor level. A kicker toy is something you might want to give him. He can act out his excitement better on that type of toy. Also, be sure not to use your hands as toys. No face games either. Staring at a cat can indicate to them, aggression. A predator would be staring at them or might pop up from behind something to attack. Slow blinks at kitty are more of a calming look to them. In the wild ( even pets have instincts intact) a sick or injured kitty is going to need to be very aware or predators who would pick them out as an easier mark than a healthy animal. It’s just survival instinct.
Pain. Cats don’t always understand where a pain is coming from. They can react quickly if a pain hits and they just grab whatever is near and might be causing it. ( Even accidentally stepping on a tail!) It also makes them more anxious. They are always going to try and hide pain. Nature tells them that indicating any weakness can leave them vulnerable.
Scent. Any outside creatures or other cats can make your cat become very anxious. Cats can pick up scents almost as well as a dog. Things we never know are there can be detected by Simon. Sounds as well. If a raccoon is outside and Simon hears, sees or smells it, his anxiety level can rise. Cats in the area giving mating calls or spraying can really get a cat upset. Try to watch where he watches. You may be surprised to have company near the windows or doors. I have to keep a couple of windows covered here by a porch since other animals come there for shelter when it is cold or raining. Are you using any new perfumes or cleaning products? Those scents can disturb or confuse Simon. Especially if you smell different to him. Cats aren’t comfortable with change. Even a new piece of furniture must be investigated and can carry scents they find undesirable.
I guess all this sounds complicated but just watch what Simon looks at, smells, eats, hears or feels. Those should be the clues you need to figure out what triggers his fears and aggression. If possible, always remain calm in response to his episodes. You are his rock and he looks to you for reactions. If you are calm, he will be reassured when he is scared or feeling bad.
Lastly, give him a cat cave. Any place where you can always put his favorite things and he can retreat to if he gets scared. A carrier, crate, box, small room or even a cage covered with a blanket can be a safe sanctuary for him. Give him a soft bed there and offer treats to show him this is his private retreat and ALWAYS a place for good things. I have three part Bengal rescues that are kind of high strung. When nervous they run to their cat retreats rather than trying to climb into my arms. They climb with claws out so the retreat is a very good thing for us all. Once they feel secure in their retreat, I can offer comfort and pets there without a problem. I hope something here is helpful. Please do keep us updated as there are other suggestions that can be offered. Many of us have experienced , seemingly, unexplainable episodes or cats reacting with fear and aggression. Something as simple as fleas can cause anemia and these frantic reactions. I am sure that others will be along to help and give information.:alright: Sending good wishes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He had another episode of aggression this morning - an almost blank stare and suddenly lunging at me - but this, combined with an increased hunger and feeling like skin and bones (seems like he's lost even more weight, which at just 8 lbs, he can't really afford to do), leads me to have concern for a medical issue. I've got an appointment for a blood draw on Monday (likely to test for either kidney issues or hyperthyroidism, which would be strange since that's typically in older cats and Simon is only 4 - 4 1/2 years old)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear that. You're right, Simon is still very young, so it would be unusual to have kidney or thyroid issues, though the hunger and weight loss are symptoms of both. Glad you have a vet appointment for him. Hope they can figure out what is wrong, and that there is an easy treatment.