Cat spay incision after 10 days

Cait

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I got my 6 month old cat spayed 10 days ago. She has been an angel about it, absolutely no complaints. She seems totally normal even a few days after playing (light play as I kept her confined for a few days) eating, and going to the washroom as usual. I have been checking her incision twice a day and it has looked great so far, save for the area around that had some build up of what looked like.a scab and some fluff. She has been wearing a cat recovery jumper for the last 10 days with no problem as she couldn't keep her cone on without freaking out and I was worried about her hurting herself.

Today I took her jumper off to see how she would be since the vet said that I could take it off after 10 days. She was beyond happy to have it off. However, after a few minutes (seriously less than 10 mins) I noticed she was licking the spot. I thought this was normal as there was what looked like some dried blood there since her spay and I thought she might want to clean it up a bit. However when I went to check if she had messed up the incision I noticed that it appeared she licked the scab off of the area around the incision. It appears the incision itself is totally shut, not redness or leakage or liquids and it is not hot to the touch. She doesn't seem bothered if I touch the scar. However around the incision where the build up of muck was the skin looks very raw and almost bloody. I put her jumper on right away and am going to keep checking it, hoping this irritation will heal. The thing is I am out of town so won't be able to see my vet, but I have access to a different vet if needed. I just wanted to see if this is normal? I thought it was strange because the incision seems very good but the area around almost looks like when people get rug burn. Sorry for the long writing I am a first time kitten owner (have had older cats before) and I just can't rest knowing that something might be wrong with her!!! Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
...However when I went to check if she had messed up the incision I noticed that it appeared she licked the scab off of the area around the incision. It appears the incision itself is totally shut, not redness or leakage or liquids and it is not hot to the touch. She doesn't seem bothered if I touch the scar. However around the incision where the build up of muck was the skin looks very raw and almost bloody. I put her jumper on right away and am going to keep checking it, hoping this irritation will heal. The thing is I am out of town so won't be able to see my vet, but I have access to a different vet if needed. I just wanted to see if this is normal? I thought it was strange because the incision seems very good but the area around almost looks like when people get rug burn. Sorry for the long writing I am a first time kitten owner (have had older cats before) and I just can't rest knowing that something might be wrong with her!!! Thanks for your help :)
Hi Cait Cait ...and welcome to the Cat Site.(TCS) :wave3:

Yes, what you are seeing is entirely normal.
It's exactly what you mentioned, above,...about licking the scab off.
The site must feel very itchy to our cats,...and therefore they lick away any itchiness or debris.

Your photos look really good.
Just keep doing what you are doing...and keep an eye on the bottom of the incision site...to make sure that it does not open any further...and make sure that no white or yellow discharge forms.
From looking at it...it will probably scab over again...and again fall off...but the incision site should then be smaller.

Usually we recommend to send the photos, to your own Vet, via text or email...just to make sure.
And since you're keeping a daily photo diary, of what the incision site looks like...then you'll also be able to tell yourself...of any changes.
Sending Fast Healing Vibes for your kitten. :vibes::vibes::tabbycat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cait

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Cait Cait ...and welcome to the Cat Site.(TCS) :wave3:

Yes, what you are seeing is entirely normal.
It's exactly what you mentioned, above,...about licking the scab off.
The site must feel very itchy to our cats,...and therefore they lick away any itchiness or debris.

Your photos look really good.
Just keep doing what you are doing...and keep an eye on the bottom of the incision site...to make sure that it does not open any further...and make sure that no white or yellow discharge forms.
From looking at it...it will probably scab over again...and again fall off...but the incision site should then be smaller.

Usually we recommend to send the photos, to your own Vet, via text or email...just to make sure.
And since you're keeping a daily photo diary, of what the incision site looks like...then you'll also be able to tell yourself...of any changes.
Sending Fast Healing Vibes for your kitten. :vibes::vibes::tabbycat:
Thank you so much cat nap!!!! Yes, I checked this morning and all the blood and pinkish skin was healed up and gone! I let her chill out for a few minutes without her jumper, but when she licked her incision once it immediately looked a bit irritated again. So she will be hanging around in a jumper for a bit until all is well :) at least she doesn't seem to mind it much! I felt better this morning, but seeing your reply made me feel even more at ease so thank you for your help!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much cat nap!!!! Yes, I checked this morning and all the blood and pinkish skin was healed up and gone! I let her chill out for a few minutes without her jumper, but when she licked her incision once it immediately looked a bit irritated again. So she will be hanging around in a jumper for a bit until all is well :) at least she doesn't seem to mind it much! I felt better this morning, but seeing your reply made me feel even more at ease so thank you for your help!
Sure, no problem, Cait. :blush:
Just remember to watch for any white or yellowish discharge...or what looks like white and yellowish cells at the opening parts of the spay incision.

It actually is not bad if the scab forms...and then falls off...since it's all in the process of healing.

Feel free to post any more photos, if you like.
All the best for your kitten and you. :bluepaw::catrub: