Cat spay help

Rodosi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got spayed yesterday and it has been like 20 hours now. She is not drinking water let alone food. But she did her pee and poop accordingly. But the main problem is she isn't keeping her cone at all. She doesn't have stitch but doctor used super glue. Whenever she is given the cone she goes backward throwing her head and jumping kicking to take it off. She is calm with no cone. What do I do now. I have to apply medicine too on it and she isn't behaving at all...... Am really worried..... Is it okay to keep the cone off? She tries to lick rarely and am keeping an eye on her. She jumps on bed often too. HELP!!
Fyi : She isn't cooperative 💀

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
None of my cats ever had a cone after they were spayed or neutered. If she's more comfortable take it off and see how she does. You can always consider putting it back on if she starts nibbling at her spay site

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rodosi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
None of my cats ever had a cone after they were spayed or neutered. If she's more comfortable take it off and see how she does. You can always consider putting it back on if she starts nibbling at her spay site
She isn't ready to keep it on.... She goes crazy when I try to put on her.... She removes it. She isn't nibbling but occasionally licking sometimes tho.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also did not use a cone with Feeby, and she never even bothered her spay incision. As mentioned above, just let her go without the cone and keep an eye on her to ensure she doesn't lick the spot too much. I was never given anything to put on the spay site afterward either. If her incision looks to be healing appropriately, maybe call the vet and ask if this med is necessary. I never restricted Feeby's movements but would have tried if I had noticed it was causing issues with the incision. In fact the day of Feeby's spay surgery she managed to get by me when I had a door open and chased the neighbor's cat into some bushes before I could get her to stop.

It is possible that your cat will resume eating/drinking if the battle over the cone stops. Many cats will not eat or drink with a cone on because it is hard to do - not to mention they are upset over having it on. If she doesn't start eating soon, you might also tell the vet about it. Perhaps, she is feeling some pain and could use a day or two of pain meds while the incision begins to heal.

Last edited:

Rodosi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also did not use a cone with Feeby, and she never even bothered her spay incision. As mentioned above, just let her go without the cone and keep an eye on her to ensure she doesn't lick the spot too much. I was never given anything to put on the spay site afterward either. If her incision looks to be healing appropriately, maybe call the vet and ask if this med is necessary. I never restricted Feeby's movements but would have tried if I had noticed it was causing issues with the incision. In fact the day of Feeby's spay surgery she managed to get by me when I had a door open and chased the neighbor's cat into some bushes before I could get her to stop.

It is possible that your cat will resume eating/drinking if the battle over the cone stops. Many cats will not eat or drink with a cone on because it is hard to do - not to mention they are upset over having it on. If she doesn't start eating soon, you might also tell the vet about it. Perhaps, she is feeling some pain and could use a day or two of pain meds while the incision begins to heal.
Thank you for the information... I think I'll keep the cone off cz she hates it. She isn't licking much either. She started eating after 22 hours... Hasn't vomited after eating too. But one question I wanna ask is.... What if I can't apply medicine on the spot regularly? But can limit her licking?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what/why the med was given. That might be a question for the vet - I am kind of thinking that if you tell them you are having trouble with it they will likely tell you that it is OK to forgo it, but I would check with them just in case.

Rodosi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what/why the med was given. That might be a question for the vet - I am kind of thinking that if you tell them you are having trouble with it they will likely tell you that it is OK to forgo it, but I would check with them just in case.
It was given to clear the area so that it doesn't get infection...... You know like for example human use alcohol swab to clear a wounded area......

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At pet stores they sell inflatable collars that are better tolerated by cats. Don’t use anything topical if you don’t have the cone on.