Cat sneezed in my face. Now my eyes feel strange

Skorpio58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty had a respiratory infection that was being treated by antibiotics. So she sneezed right in my face and I wasn't prepared for it. Mucus got in my mouth, nose and eyes. I immediately rinsed my face off but the damage was done. Now I have this strange sensation in my eyes like i need to prop them up with toothpicks. Can't really describe it, just know that something is amiss.

Do I need to be on antibiotics too?

Dan

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally bugs don't cross species like that. It's why cats don't get our colds and flus and we don't get their URI's. It's probably a psychosomatic reaction. You're worried about transmission so you've psyched yourself into feeling something amiss. It is also possible that you still have some mucus in your eyes. Flushing one's own eyes is a tricky business since our first instinct is not to get anything in them--even water. If you are concerned, you can either call your vet, your doctor, or drop by an urgent care. Myself? I would give it a day to see if something besides a funny feeling develops. I would probably also attempt to flush your eyes with water a few more times today.

Put another way, your eyes are more likely irritated than infected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skorpio58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ah, so i need to update the thread. this all happened a week ago. tried unsuccessfully to post on reddit (the absolute worst forum site) but kept getting removed for spam. so i finally gave up on reddit (YAY) and looked for other sites. so daftcat, what would you think then?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ah, so i need to update the thread. this all happened a week ago. tried unsuccessfully to post on reddit (the absolute worst forum site) but kept getting removed for spam. so i finally gave up on reddit (YAY) and looked for other sites. so daftcat, what would you think then?
So this happened a week ago and your eyes still feel funny? Go see a doctor.

Skorpio58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the speedy reply. will do.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for the compliment and welcome to the site! I agree that if this is a week old, you need a doctor. Even if this is coincidental with the sneeze, you don't want to take a chance with your eyes.

Skorpio58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so after some antibiotic eye drops, all is well. thanks for commenting.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My guy is finishing up antibiotics, due to bronchitis.. and he was sneezing.. a lot...
I did think about all the germs.. but.. as daftcat75 daftcat75 stated, it is very hard for cross species contamination.

Yes, sneezing and coughing germs all over my bedroom, the apartment. I just washed my sheets, bedspread, pillow covers, and his towels in hot water.. so the germs are gone...

I think you may have over scrubbed your face.. (as I would have also), and created some sort of allergic reaction to either it or the soap..
I would have just used some saline eye drops.. and then see what transpired.

And agreeing wit h fionasmom fionasmom when in doubt, call the doctor.. or Vet...

Yes, this is a great site. I am so happy that I found it..
How is you kitty doing?

Skorpio58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even though i know most doc's would say no to cross contamination, my eyes only felt better after the antibiotic drops. but all healed and ready for the next adventure.

Kitty is all healed too. and she does have adventures every day.

Here is a pic of my baby.

20220611_094405.jpg