Cat Response To Stray

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Need opinions of cat experts on this one. As I have posted many times my Willow is a former semi feral who is afraid of anything new and can go from fine to hysterical in three seconds. Prior to my adopting her seven years ago, age one, she had a failed adoption for being too timid and it was noted not good with other pets. Now I am not sure if I should assume that.

I have been feeding a stray who has been hanging around my house for the last few days and this morning when he was eating on the porch Willow saw him for the first time. They were only about four feet apart, separated by the patio door. I expected she would growl, hiss or head for a hiding place, but instead she just sat there and then started a bird cackle at him. He looked at her a couple of time, no reaction. She watched and cackled at him until he finished and left and I was a bit stunned by the reaction from both.

So, what do you all think? Would you take it as a sign that she may be better with a sibling than I thought?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Would you take it as a sign that she may be better with a sibling than I thought?
Ummm.
I don't know if I qualify as an expert, but in any case, I'm waffling.
Is there any way you could maybe foster and "test the theory" so to speak?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had 2 cats at the same time, so I am certainly not qualified to even guess if your cat would like a sibling. However, the no growling, hissing or puffed tail, does seem like maybe she'd be open to the idea.

Hopefully more members will see this thread and reply with comments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Cat number two will probably not be a choice so much as a circumstance where I have to take in a second cat, like my mother’s if she were to go to a nursing home or a stray like the one I am currently feeding that needs a short term or long term home. I now have at least a tiny bit of hope it wouldn’t be disastrous for Willow.