Cat Relocation Advice

strojnikjak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear Forum,
My girlfriend moved about a year ago to her grandparents. While her cat had to stay with her father. He is a very successful outdoor cat, not strictly though. Now it seems that the cat, Figaro, might need to move in with her but there is one problem. She lives on a main road and although is very good at looking outside for himself at his current home Her grandmother is afraid because he's used to being outside with a sense of "cockyness" he might not be so cautious. Due to this problem her grandparents are skiddish about letting Figaro come over. Occassionaly at night people drive down the 30mph road at 80. My girlfriend want to purchase an outlet plug in fence that would be put on Figaros collar. Her grandparents are still very wary about the price for the fence. Any advice, thank you.
-Strojnikjak

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't pretend to be an expert on this, but afaik electric fences don't work great for cats. I tried years ago, and the prongs caused the start of an ulcer on my cats neck. And thats fairly typical to the best of my knowledge. I'm not sure exactly why they work better on dogs -- maybe its just size. Hopefully you'll get some more opinions, but I'd proceed with caution. You don't want to spend all that money and have it not work. And an outdoor cat by a road where cars go that fast is indeed not safe. Best bet is to convert to indoor only. Conversion is hard for a time, but not much choice.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd try to have the cat be indoors only if possible. I have no experience with the electric fences.