Cat rehabilitation while caged outside?

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you posted an update. I was worried about him. I would think they could neuter him now. Neutering isn't that major of an operation.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Ask the vet if he can be neutered since he is improving. There are cat proof window screens/screening in case you ever need to install it on any windows which are attractive for escape.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update:

Wilson was neutered on Saturday last week and is currently in a crate as he recovers. He has been fine, eating and using the toilet normally. His fungal infection is now minor, and just looks like a long cut. Which leads to the question: is it a good idea to release him?

I did initially want to give him up for adoption, but seeing as how he was so miserable in my room and now in a crate I feel like he's better off as an outdoor cat. I brought this up with some vets and cat foster parents who've taken care of feral cats and they suggested that he just live outside our house and be free to roam around. I'm all for it as he has been itching to explore, but I wonder if it would be irresponsible of me to let him out when his fungal infection wound is still slightly exposed? I don't really want to risk setting back his recovery or infecting other cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is all really good news and you have done a great job with him....and now he is fixed. Cats are safer indoors, especially given what happened to him, but it is your decision as to how safe he will be and how much happier he will be if you release him. Will he stay around your property?

The rule of thumb on most fungal infections is that if there are spores, there can still be contagion. It sounds as if he really has healed, but I think that you should ask the vet specifically. It should be a one call, yes/no answer, no charge for asking.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update:

Wilson was neutered on Saturday last week and is currently in a crate as he recovers. He has been fine, eating and using the toilet normally. His fungal infection is now minor, and just looks like a long cut. Which leads to the question: is it a good idea to release him?

I did initially want to give him up for adoption, but seeing as how he was so miserable in my room and now in a crate I feel like he's better off as an outdoor cat. I brought this up with some vets and cat foster parents who've taken care of feral cats and they suggested that he just live outside our house and be free to roam around. I'm all for it as he has been itching to explore, but I wonder if it would be irresponsible of me to let him out when his fungal infection wound is still slightly exposed? I don't really want to risk setting back his recovery or infecting other cats.
That is great he is neutered now and recovering 😻. I would not release him, in a few weeks he will totally adjust to being an indoor cat and live a happy life free from danger. It is totally normal for him to go through this adjustment period but he will adjust and be much happier. You can distract him with treats, playing and spending extra time with him to help him adjust as his hormone levels drop etc. He is not being aggressive or showing any real signs that he can’t live inside.

As for the infection dvm should be able to let you know when he is no longer contagious. Letting him out would also assure there is a chance that the infection will recur and not finish healing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again! A question about Wilson's condition:

He got neutered and the incision site has been healing nicely and only recently did I realize that small black ants were crawling around the site, so all around his testicles. He does also attract flies & other critters so I'm not sure if this is something to be worried about or if he's due for a shower but any advice would be appreciated!

(He was never showered after his rescue as the vet recommended that his infection be kept dry)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello again! A question about Wilson's condition:

He got neutered and the incision site has been healing nicely and only recently did I realize that small black ants were crawling around the site, so all around his testicles. He does also attract flies & other critters so I'm not sure if this is something to be worried about or if he's due for a shower but any advice would be appreciated!

(He was never showered after his rescue as the vet recommended that his infection be kept dry)
You need to ask your dvm right away. He could have an infection. I hope he is ok 💕