Cat refuses dry food and only crap wet food

Scubagirl65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good day
I have a 4 yr old female cat, neutered.
She lost her brother a few months ago.(died by a car hitting him) She went through some grieving but now her eating habits have changed. She refuses any kibble no matter what kind( I always gave her vet food for kibble) I live in Mexico and they do not have many options for cat food especially healthy kinds but I settled in Purina wet cat food ( Mexico only has Tuna in a case) she refuses to eat it now and will only eat whiskas which is a horrible brand!! I’ve tried mixing in kibbles, buying gravy (amazon for cats) no go… (I have to import everything from Amazon so ordering regular is not the answer.
I’m concerned if I continue to feed her whiskas that we will both pay for it later on. Me financially and her with her health!!
She eats sometimes 3-4 times per day because the whiskas is crap.
if I don’t feed her she meows or literally starts breaking things, climbing curtains until I feed her. She is healthy now, teeth are fine, not losing weight and her coat is great!!
I think she is lonely for sure - she is indoor out door kitty
Any suggestions???

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - welcome!
She is healthy now, teeth are fine, not losing weight and her coat is great!!
This is a very good thing. If the Whiskas hasn't caused her coat to get coarse or oily by now, I think you might be more ok with feeding it than you're afraid of. Also, canned food of any brand has less carbs and calories than kibble. However, don't give up.

You've probably tried this already, but what about a tiny amount of the Purina tuna mixed with the Whiskas, or even on the side of the plate? If not now, maybe later. She may have another change of diet preferences.

The only time cats willingly group together is when food is involved, when people feed feral colonies in a relatively small location repeatedly. She may be missing her brother, but she is not missing a new cat. Sometimes bringing in a new cat works (although females are more territorial than males even when spayed), but on the other hand it could make things more complicated for your cat and end up effecting her eating.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have you actually compared the ingredients in Whiskas and Purina? I would, but don't know which ones you are using. See just how different they are.

Also, I would be curious about the vet brand of kibble you want your cat to eat. If you think it is much better, have you tried adding some water to it to make it moist?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scubagirl65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the quick response. Yes I’ve tried mixing in the purina and kibble, she refuses to eat it - and also thanks about bringing in a new kitten. She is very attached to me and I think a new kitty would make her mad.
I’ve only been feeding her this whiskas for about 2 weeks. I will keep an eye on her coat.

Scubagirl65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Have you actually compared the ingredients in Whiskas and Purina? I would, but don't know which ones you are using. See just how different they are.

Also, I would be curious about the vet brand of kibble you want your cat to eat. If you think it is much better, have you tried adding some water to it to make it moist?
I have actually compared and the crazy thing is both packages say to feed her 4-5 packages a. Day. But I’ve noticed that with the whiskas she becomes hungry in a couple hours.
personally I can’t financially feed her 5 pouch’s a day, that would be 15-20 dollars every 4 days
I wish she would supplement with kibble!!
like do cats eat when they are bored?
this is very challenging

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think most cats eat because they are bored, but of course there are always exceptions.

It is only a general rule of thumb but typically adult cats need somewhere between 20-25 calories per pound of body weight. So, a 10 pound cat would likely need between 200 and 250 calories per day. How many calories are on those pouches?

Is there more than one kibble offered by the vet? If so, perhaps try another one to see if she might like it better. As I suggested before, you can also test if she would eat the kibble when moistened with water.

Scubagirl65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think most cats eat because they are bored, but of course there are always exceptions.

It is only a general rule of thumb but typically adult cats need somewhere between 20-25 calories per pound of body weight. So, a 10 pound cat would likely need between 200 and 250 calories per day. How many calories are on those pouches?

Is there more than one kibble offered by the vet? If so, perhaps try another one to see if she might like it better. As I suggested before, you can also test if she would eat the kibble when moistened with water.
yes it makes sense thatshe Would eat 5-6 pouches a day but again financially that is not sustainable. She needs to eat some kibbles, which I have tried 3 different kinds of kibbles now. Moistened it with gravy, water , mixed it in with the wet food. She leaves it. Won’t eat it! I’ve wasted so much food already!! I figure if she is hungry enough she will eat the kibble, but in the mean time she will drive me nuts!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you toss a kibble along the floor and make it a game would she chase and eat it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand the predicament you are in! But, beware about the idea of making her hungry enough to eat the kibble. There are many cats who will go hungry, lose weight, and become sick rather than eat food they don't like.

I've heard there is a Petco.com in Mexico - have you tried to see what they have? I have also heard of Maskota and Mercado Libre, which I think actually have stores as well as online. I gather these aren't good sources?

Anything you can glean from this? Pet Markt Company - Distribution and Wholesale in Mexico

Scubagirl65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you toss a kibble along the floor and make it a game would she chase and eat it?
Yes I have done this and she eats a few and realizes it’s not really treats and stops eating it! She is one smart kitty

Scubagirl65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand the predicament you are in! But, beware about the idea of making her hungry enough to eat the kibble. There are many cats who will go hungry, lose weight, and become sick rather than eat food they don't like.

I've heard there is a Petco.com in Mexico - have you tried to see what they have? I have also heard of Maskota and Mercado Libre, which I think actually have stores as well as online. I gather these aren't good sources?

Anything you can glean from this? Pet Markt Company - Distribution and Wholesale in Mexico
Thank you. Yes I always give her the food she wants. I did not know petco was in Mexico and I will check it out!! Thank you