Cat poops on the floor, and I`m going insane!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I cannot believe that two or more need to be used for two cats (my fiance and I share one bathroom :p) But I have a spare, so I'll try putting it back out today and see if this helps the problem at all. 
Thanks! 
You'd be surprised - some cats are very finicky. There are two male cats at our shelter who share a room and require a total of 5 litter boxes. :lol3: They both require one to pee in and another to poo in, won't use each other's boxes (though they otherwise get along fine), and one doesn't like to use a "dirty" box. He's a senior and his bladder control isn't great, so the 5th box is for those times he can't hold it till somebody scoops his "pee box".

alexisgrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does the same thing. It started after my other cat died. The vet said he is in "mourning". It's been two years now. He won't stop. Vet said he possibly could never stop. Like you, my cat is the prince of the house. I honestly don't think there is a solution except placing down paper where he poops and throwing it away daily. I've learned to cope.

brighte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried different cat litters? Declawing makes a cats paws more sensitive and the litter you are using may hurt him to stand in while he tries to get his fluffy tush into position. I would maybe buy a small bag of each litter and some of those small cheap litter boxes and line them up and let him try them out. It may just be a texture issue.  That's the only thing I can think of to suggest. *shrug* :)

oh, yeah and i like a product called Urine off. I know it says it's for urine, but it works to clean the smell of vomit and feces off things too. It works wonders if my kitties have an accident! It takes the smell away and takes away the temptation of soiling the spot again because it smells.

catveracity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To KAt F   sounds like you have put up with a lot and tried a lot.  Sounds like others are trying to explain away the behavior of a chronic sociopath by blaming everyone but the responsible individual, even to the point of making personal attacks on you which are unfounded.  SOunds like hater behavior to me.  If cats have enough character/intelligence? to be so sensitive and responsive then they are responsible for their choices. If all reasonable things have been tried, sounds like time for a major rethinking of the whole arrangement.  Unfortunate but true.  There are clearly other cats who know how to make the right choices.  Sounds like time for a change.

discustedfedup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We also have two cats. One uses the litter (male), the other (female) WONT 90% of the time. She has done this since she was a kitten. The male cat was 2 years old when we introduced her to our home. The vet told us it's just her "tick". We have had her 5 years and it's maddening. No matter if we live in a large home or a small apartment. No matter if everything in the house is calm for a week with no visitors (visitors stress her out), she will continue to poop on the floor randomly. I got so fed up I moved myself and the male cat out for a year. When I rejoined my daughter again with the female cat (who never stopped pooping on the floor), the cat was so stressed out by us moving back in that I had to take her to the vet. She was very sick, not eating and throwing up when she did eat. The vet gave her a shot, some pills and she was fine afterward. He said she was "stressed out" or that she had developed an allergy to the food or both.

There is nothing that can be done to stop her. We have tried everything. She is a beautiful cat and we love her but she is a very strange cat. She has always been afraid of going outside, freaks out when other female humans come into our home, hissing and doing strange things with females that are not family (we have 4 women in the family). She doesn't do this with males. However, when company is over, no matter the sex of the guest, she seems to stress out and poop all over the floor the next day, clearly sending a message she does not want visitors and is highly upset about it. Nothing you can recommend will change this. It's her "tick" and we will continue to be punished as long as that cat is alive on this earth.

m cherry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a really old post, so there really is probably no reason for me to reply, but if you still have problems (you must be patient!) I would take the cat to ANOTHER vet's, and then another. Some vets, and I don't want to offend here, really do nothing more or say anything more than give antibiotics.

maggiemo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I foster an elderly cat whose owner is in a care home. For 10 months, no problem, but two months ago she started pooping at the entry to the box, then on the floor nearby. Having read lots of the replies to you, I tried spraying Feliway around the area, and left the cover off the litter tray, as I remembered she had an open tray previously. It worked. Straightaway. Do try Feliway. I used it when she first came, but stopped when she seemed to be settled. The diffuser is now plugged in again in the room where she sleeps and where the litter tray is.
:nod: