Cat Pooing On Sofa

Kelcid89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I have a 5-year-old ASH mix that is the best kitty. We just moved into a new house about 2 months ago and since we have moved he has been pooping on our new sofa. I have tried changing his litter box, his litter, and the amount of litter in his box. Usually, he does it at night when we can't get on to him, but this morning he did it right in front of my husband (I know this because I heard my husband yell "are you KIDDING me?" from the kitchen :lol:).

He is normally a very well behaved cat, but since we've moved he has developed some new habits that are annoying, to say the least. Other than the pooping he wakes us up at about 5 am every morning pawing at the garage door and doorknob and howling until I wake up squirt him with a water bottle and then he comes and snuggles up next to me and sleeps for several hours, uninterrupted.

I just ordered Feliway and will install it once it comes in on Wednesday. I've read a few different things, such as changing the location of his food, and my vet said to take the poop from the couch and put it in the litter box. Anything else I could try??

Luckytheordinary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try changing the location of the box. I’m assuming he only poops on your sofa? Move it right beside it in that case. When he gets accustomed to using his litter box you can slowly move itaway to an area you prefer. :goodluck:

Luckytheordinary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and I forgot to ask whether you have used Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract Litter? I haven’t tried it myself but there are pretty good reviews on it. Here in Canada I am able to find it at “big box” pet stores so if you live in the US you probably will be able to find it as well. I saw a bag of this at our local PetSmart. Here’s the litter: Cat Attract™ Litter - Dr. Elsey's

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat does this when she's constipated. Is he eating a lot of dry food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelcid89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have catattract at my local petstore
Oh and I forgot to ask whether you have used Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract Litter? I haven’t tried it myself but there are pretty good reviews on it. Here in Canada I am able to find it at “big box” pet stores so if you live in the US you probably will be able to find it as well. I saw a bag of this at our local PetSmart. Here’s the litter: Cat Attract™ Litter - Dr. Elsey's
They have the Cat Attract at my local PetSmart, will be trying that out tonight!

Kelcid89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does this when she's constipated. Is he eating a lot of dry food?
He only eats dry food. He won't touch anything else, I have tried just about every wet food known to man. He does like a little bit of olive oil on his food occasionally.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Shouldn't spray a cat with water. There is an article on this site about it.

5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

My cat Taz pees outside the litter box when he is stressed out. A cat on our property stresses him out the most. The scent of or seeing another cat outside. Strong odors and loud noises also stress him out. The wanting to get out at 5 AM makes me wonder if a neighbors cat is wandering around your property at night. I realize your cat is not peeing outside the box but stress can make cats do weird things.

Hope you get it sorted out sooner than later.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your cat will only eat dry food, and might benefit from more water intake, a pet fountain can be a good incentive, since cats tend to prefer running water.

If you're worried about your couches, you might consider protecting them with waterproof and easily washable 'pet blankets' at least until you are able to sort out the problem. We had a similar problem and it was a sanity saver.

Like Shane Kent Shane Kent , I wondered if he's reacting to noises outside and showing territorial insecurity. Spraying is a classic symptom, but I think 'middening' can be as well?

Kelcid89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What canned foods have you tried? I bet it would help.
I can't remember the exact ones off the top of my head. I've tried the more expensive organic ones, as well as the cheaper ones and all the ones in between. He's not interested in those, tuna, milk, treats. He likes dry food, and catnip and has since he came to me in 2014.

Kelcid89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your cat will only eat dry food, and might benefit from more water intake, a pet fountain can be a good incentive, since cats tend to prefer running water.

If you're worried about your couches, you might consider protecting them with waterproof and easily washable 'pet blankets' at least until you are able to sort out the problem. We had a similar problem and it was a sanity saver.

Like Shane Kent Shane Kent , I wondered if he's reacting to noises outside and showing territorial insecurity. Spraying is a classic symptom, but I think 'middening' can be as well?
I have a fountain on order, he does love the faucet while I put my makeup on in the mornings. Not so worried about my couches, I have a sheet over them at the moment, just more worried about my soul-kitty as I call him. To my knowledge we don't have any cats that roam around, I live in the middle of town, plus he didn't do this at our other house out in the country where there were 4 or 5 feral cats on or near the property.