Cat Peeing On The Bed!

Anraunxl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

My girlfriend and I recently brought a cat into our apartment from a rescue shelter. Everything started out fine, until about 2 weeks in when she began peeing on the bed. We’ve tried placing food on the bed to teach her that it’s not a good potty area. We’ve also got a vet appointment set up to see if she has a UTI or crystals. The only other thing that we could think of is that our dog (who’s been here since before the cat came) sleeps on the bed at night and she’s trying to mark the bed as her own space. Any ideas on retraining or changes that could be made?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just going to second rubysmama rubysmama 's suggestions here. And you may have hit the nail on its fuzzy little head with the marking due to the dog. It wouldn't be the first time that a new cat desperately tried to claim territory in a new place like that.

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
try some feliway and giving her treats on the bed so she feels like it is also her space

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever my cats have pee problems it's always because they are getting too much dry food and not enough canned food. So you could try increasing her canned food, decreasing the dry food.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First things first. Vet needs to rule out a UTI or crystals. Once that is confirmed, I would definitely consider whether you might have another area for the dog? Maybe on a nearby doggie bed? Could be stressing her out. I agree wet food is better than dry for urinary issues.