cat may have swallowed glass

catmeowpunch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(i have called some vets regarding this, i can’t afford the checkup & x-rays + they said it isn’t urgent)

my cats were home alone for a couple hours yesterday, and during that time one of them pushed a butter dish off of the counter. it shattered, & when i got home and started cleaning it up i saw a little bit of blood, as well as some spit around it.

i also found some puke with his food, butter, and a tiny bit of blood in it too.

he’s been acting completely fine, eating normally, and i haven’t found any scratches/blood/etc anywhere in the house since last night.

is there anything anyone can recommend i do in the case that he swallowed some glass? he seems completely fine but this has been one of my biggest fear as a cat owner so im really nervous.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish you didn't have to join TCS under these circumstances, but welcome anyway. I don't know why the vets didn't seem to think it was urgent. Glass can cut up tissue anywhere in their digestive tract. The blood you saw may have been from their mouth, but if they swallowed what cut their mouths, it can cut other parts too. Just because they are acting fine so far doesn't mean there isn't internal bleeding somewhere.

Find a vet who isn't so casual about this and take the cats in to be seen. If you have to beg family, friends, neighbors, whomever you can, ask to borrow the money. You may need to ask the vet what they can and cannot do in terms of x-rays or other testing, and what you can do as well. Get a bit more information from them as to why they don't seem to think it is urgent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmeowpunch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish you didn't have to join TCS under these circumstances, but welcome anyway. I don't know why the vets didn't seem to think it was urgent. Glass can cut up tissue anywhere in their digestive tract. The blood you saw may have been from their mouth, but if they swallowed what cut their mouths, it can cut other parts too. Just because they are acting fine so far doesn't mean there isn't internal bleeding somewhere.

Find a vet who isn't so casual about this and take the cats in to be seen. If you have to beg family, friends, neighbors, whomever you can, ask to borrow the money. You may need to ask the vet what they can and cannot do in terms of x-rays or other testing, and what you can do as well. Get a bit more information from them as to why they don't seem to think it is urgent.
yeah i ended up calling multiple vets & going to a 24 emergency vet recommended to me. they did a general exam as well as some x-rays and they found a couple tiny pieces of glass in him.

he’s gonna be completely okay though, they told me to just keep feeding him wet food (which he already gets) to cushion the glass & it should come out just fine. he’s still acting normal & playing. huge scare but i’m just glad he’s okay.

they also didn’t find any cuts on him/in his mouth or throat so i honestly don’t really know where the blood came from, but they said he’s doing completely okay.