Cat is too hyper...iduno what to do anymore

seakrait

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone has given such good advise I can't really add anything except patience patience patience! A good interactive play time can help tire them out and I've noticed that if I give mine a little treat just before bed time they go off & have a snooze.

Thank you for not bringing your kitty back to the SPCA.

gus's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can tell you that mine was exactly like that when he was the same age and I am glad I didn't give up on him because he is the best cat in the world! I never knew where I'd find him, he'd get into closets, cupboards ontop of the kitchen cabinets inside the sofa frame. Consider yourself lucky to have such a great bundle of energy to share your life with. Try leaving closet doors open a bit with a blanket/box on the floor inside to explore. I used to play "hide and seek" where I'd hide in a room and then call him and wait for him to find me. It turned out to be a favorite game and a good energy burner too. He'd take off running every time. I think the more physical things you can do to help blow off steam will help calm him down. Cat fishing poles are great for hours of exercise.

gold2k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that's why I adopted a grown cat. I wasn't up to socializing those growing up behaviors.

Also, kittens have a lot of energy! So the first thing I'm wondering is that if this is normal kitten energy that you are reacting to? If it is then it helps to know that your cat isn't misbehaving.

People choose kittens because they want to shape them. Unfortunately that means that there are behaviors to socialize. No living thing is a blank canvas.

slipstream

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little 6 month old Dexter is just like your kitty! He's in everything, knocking things over, chasing my other cat around...he just craves attention and meows for it if he doesn't get it. lol!

I know he'll grow out of it...and in a weird way I'm sure I'm gonna miss some cute things he'd do: like just want to be close to me (on my pillow is his favorite)

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I was wondering if there's an update on this?? Pls keep us posted..

compmom42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Donny is so much like your kitty. He runs breakneck around the house, climbs the walls, bounces off of the couch and is generally a riot to watch.
Patience is your best bet. Donny is 10 months old and definitely in his "teens".
He is so busy trying anything and everything he can. Yet in his calmer periods he is such a sweetie.
I have a few no-nos (no climbing the wallpaper and no catpaws on food surfaces) and he knows what they are, cause he looks at me before he tries it again. I guess he is checking to see if the rules have changed. Other than that he has the run of the house. When I caught him on the top most shelf of my closet (just grinning at me with his cleverness), I learned to shut the bathroom door to keep him out.
And sometimes we just have to have a time out from each other.
Be patient and your little one will grow up and settle down.

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The flower essences are effective, I used it for my kitties during their transition.

beautifuldevian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Imagine the turmoil in my house! Our two little 6 month old kittens are so wild! They spend all day and night running back and forth upstairs to downstairs, all through the house, tearing through anything that might be in their way. Well let me tell you, there's newspaper all over the floor! And then the other two get in on it.. I think it's a secret kitty plot to drive all the humans nuts. But we learned to ignore it, and they go on playing like the little psycho devils they are. Oh well.

Good luck to you and your little kitty, I hope everything works out!