Cat is attacking itself

N Ivey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend has a 2 yr. old Persian cat. It had surgery to open its nostrils more. Naturally it had anesthesia. After the recovery, it has been licking itself to the point of bleeding. (most recently, it's groin area) It has also begun to bite its penis area to the point of needing stitches. The vets cannot figure out what is causing this. There have been blood and urine tests, scans, and x-rays. Has anyone ever heard of such problem and has a solution?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
This isn't a cure but can you use unflavored chamomile tea, or coconut oil on his hot spots?

Store bought unflavored chamomile tea (garden grown is unsafe for cats) is anti bacterial and anti fungal, coconut oil is anti microbial. Both are safe if ingested, and colloidal silver could be an option as well. These will ease his discomfort.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any medications being taken by this cat? Could be a side effect/allergic reaction to them.

Your friend should also talk to the vet about anti-anxiety or calming products to see if they might help reduce the obsessiveness with over-grooming. Has there been any discussion about a brief stint with steroids?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another consideration to explore is FHS (Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome). Obviously the poor kitty is miserable and the suggestions by Furballsmom Furballsmom to relieve the symptoms are good ones. Because of the area being targeted, I would suspect that possibly he is hurting in the genitourinary area. If your friend's vet is open to using herbs, ask about using marshmallow root and red raspberry for pain relief. Slippery elm is another soothing herb to consider. In my experience, teas and decoctions (unlike steeping leaves for tea, roots & bark are slowly simmered, covered, for 10-15 minutes and cooled with the lid still on. It's important to use bottled, filtered or good well water).
Please keep us updated! I hope the poor kitty feels better soon!