Cat Hoarding Stuffed Animals

lizzimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat MiMi is 6 years old and she's been doing this for her whole adult life. Super early in the morning (like 2am) she starts crying and wandering the house and when I get up there's a pile of toys. I tried putting them away before and she stole things from my shelves, table cloth, everything she could carry instead. She is aggressive, can't pet her unless it's on her terms- has to be sedated at the vet, also randomly pees on things. Im a veterinary assistant and asked everyone I work with if they've ever heard of this and could explain it with no luck. I tried putting her on Prozac but it made her more angry/stressed. Has anyone ever seen a cat do this before? Ive tried all the calming products in addition to Prozac and nothing seems to help her. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this weird behavior.

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats do this but they arent aggresive towards me at all, they're actually the opposite and love cuddles. My little one still does this all the time. She steals my socks and washcloths and puts them in her little cat house all the time. If I cant find my matching sock, I promise you she has it stashed away. Not sure why she does it, but shes harmless so I let her do her thing. The older one grew out of it and is too lazy to put in that kind of effort haha

I know I didnt really answer your question but at least you know your cat isnt the only weirdo!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived with a jewelry obsessed cat. She would open drawers, pull out items, and take off with them. Then during the night she would occasionally return them to me and I would wake to find an earring or a necklace in bed with me.

I think your cats toy animal hunting is separate from her anxiety. In fact it is probably something she finds very enjoyable and relaxing.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think hoarding stuffed animals is related to aggressive behaviour. My cat does this too, he also plays aggressively with stuffed animals, but he doesn't play like that with us.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think this pack rat behavior is completely normal, especially in female cats. Think of it as her rounding up kittens. Give her more kittens to find!