Cat grass inflammation or something else?

Traceyoz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Six weeks ago my cat had a blade of grass removed along with grass seed from her soft palate. Before this no known problems . The vet gave her something to reduce inflammation. The only signs prior to this problem was wretching/gagging , snoring when asleep. These all came on suddenly. I got the grass removal done as soon as symptoms showed. A day after I had to take cat back as her breathing was abit funny and they put her on steroids,on removal of grass they said there was inflammation and took biopsy and said was sign of reaction to the foreign body. She has been on steroids for six weeks now ,eating and going about her business , 5mg steroids twice a day. She has intermittent noisy breathing when horizontal at rest . Took her to vets because in a day or so she is supposed to have her steroids reduced to 5mg once a day, just a bit stressed as the vet said if she gets worse , not eating , breathing worse after this will have to investigate with tissue biopsy on throat . Apart from her occasional noisy breathing she seems ok but just need to see how she reacts with reduced steroids . They said that the the grass stuck could possibly be separate to the inflammation on throat if steoids dont do their thing but i think that the inflammation and grass stuck in palate are still related , what do you think?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What did they biopsy? I also got confused because you said that signs prior to the grass issue that she was wretching/gagging, snoring when asleep, but you think that is solely related to the grass? The vets think that there may be a separate issue with regard to the inflammation on her throat? How so?

I think there is a timeline in your summary that may need clarification to help us better understand what might be going on. At first blush of what you have said, I would tend to think there might just be a separate issue, but I am not a vet and just going on my layperson's gut.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Traceyoz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What did they biopsy? I also got confused because you said that signs prior to the grass issue that she was wretching/gagging, snoring when asleep, but you think that is solely related to the grass? The vets think that there may be a separate issue with regard to the inflammation on her throat? How so?

I think there is a timeline in your summary that may need clarification to help us better understand what might be going on. At first blush of what you have said, I would tend to think there might just be a separate issue, but I am not a vet and just going on my layperson's gut.
My cats first signs of anything were retching and gagging with rapsy breathing which happened quickly ,i took her to the vets and they thought it could be grass stuck. They sedated her and removed a blade of grass and seed . At the time they said her throat looked inflammed along with an area of extra inflammation. They took a cell biopsy i believe which came back saying it seems to be a reaction to the foreign body (grass and seed). She has been on steroids as i said for some time and is eating and going out as normal if not a little letharic at times being on steroids. She is due to drop the steoids to a lower dose , as i said ,she does at times when resting have abit of noisey breathing (not panting or mouth open ) Im just abit apprehensive with the tablet drop because if she gets like she did at the beginning more tests of her inflammation in throat is likely as the vet said it could be something else with her throat un related to the grass. I like to think it is related to the grass as she was fine before this withno issues !

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know if they intubated her when she was under anesthesia? Is there a chance they missed some of the grass? Cat tracheas are very fragile. The other concern is that if she wasn't intubated, she could possibly have aspirated some saliva into her lungs. They would have to do a chest x ray to be sure, If this vet doesn't take your concerns, then you need to find one that will. It isn't normal and she should be better by now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Traceyoz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im not sure if they did , her lungs are fine , the problem is in her upper respiratory area , I did think that they could have missed something, the plan is to reduce the steoids, I just hope she doesn't get worse again , she is normal apart from theis occasional noisy breathing ,eating and going out as normal , if she gets worse with the reduction of steroids they will have to investigate more . I just feel really stressed by it all .