Cat fur clipping import

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I currently live in the US and I am moving to New Zealand in a couple of months. I have fur clippings from my deceased kitties and I'd like to bring them with me for obvious sentimental reasons.

The fur is currently in ziploc bags inside of scrapbooks. However, I could remove the bags and ship or package them in a different way if necessary.

I've been told the fur needs to be "treated" and certified by a vet that it is free of pests/other biohazards. I've inquired about this with my vet but not sure they will/can do it and ultimately, it may still be rejected by customs.

Has anyone done this (or similar) before?

My other idea was to have the fur formally mounted in some way, but I'm not really sure how. I do have resin jewellery with fur preserved inside but I also like having the fur itself. thanks!

(Not sure this is the best forum for this, mods feel free to move if appropriate.)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know any place that does glass blowing?
Maybe a head shop that makes glass water pipes?

You could have somebody seal the fur inside glass tubes. That way the fur would be preserved and, as a bonus, it would make sure that nothing infectious could be spread.

When our kitties pass on, that's what I plan to do. I know a couple of shops in town that do glass blowing and I've already spoken to one guy, informally, who said it can be done. He said he can make a small locket, in glass, that can be worn on a chain around the neck.

Like this: What's sealed stayed sealed. - Glass Creations

I don't know if that's something you can do or even if you'd want to do it but, still, I suggest you look into it. :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Was the New Zealand customs official, or those to whom you spoke, specific about what might be required? Is there a certificate or declaration form that you need to have completed beforehand...a permit? Or is this all decided at the point of entry? If you "treat" the fur, what kind of certification do they require that it is now sterile and not carrying "hitch hikers" which is what some custom's officials call whatever could be in the cat fur.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know any place that does glass blowing?
Maybe a head shop that makes glass water pipes?

You could have somebody seal the fur inside glass tubes. That way the fur would be preserved and, as a bonus, it would make sure that nothing infectious could be spread.

When our kitties pass on, that's what I plan to do. I know a couple of shops in town that do glass blowing and I've already spoken to one guy, informally, who said it can be done. He said he can make a small locket, in glass, that can be worn on a chain around the neck.

Like this: What's sealed stayed sealed. - Glass Creations

I don't know if that's something you can do or even if you'd want to do it but, still, I suggest you look into it. :)
This looks so cool. I have so many fur clippings I wouldn't mind having put all in one piece of glass. Thank you for posting this info and link.