Cat flu (I think) flaring up after each vaccination?

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Background: Uno, my stray/rescue got his first vaccination in early February and his second shot a few days ago. After each shot - he developed symptoms associated with Feline herpesvirus/calcivirus (from my reading I gathered that the symptoms aren't too different?) - sneezing, coughing, some nasal discharge, general lethargy etc. Given that the last shot was only a. few days ago we're currently in the sneezing / nasal discharge phase this time as well.

I freaked out the first time, rushed back to the vet, it was diagnosed as feline flu, and things cleared up as soon as he started antibiotics.
The coughing seemed to persist a while so we did an x ray and the vet noticed minor lesions, but was clear it's NOT bronchitis/ pneumonia/ asthma. They couldn't pinpoint the cause of the lesions, but did a longer course of anti inflammatory and antibiotic meds just to clear out anything. Seemed to work as well, Uno remained in perfectly good health throughout and usually more boisterous than I could handle! .... Right up to his second vaccination, and a flare up of flu symptoms almost immediately after. #sigh

It seems to be a milder bout and he's mostly fine - playing and eating, so I'm not too worried. I do intend to go back to the vet perhaps tomorrow to make sure it's nothing worse, and also because he's really sneezing all over the place.

I'm wondering how best to manage cat flu in the long run? (since it seems to be in his system now, and I'll assume it'll flare up occasionally)
Are there home remedies, immunity building ideas or just good practises to keep him healthy?

Any help/thoughts appreciated by a sneezing kitty!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try giving him an immune supplement like L-lysine. You can find them on Chewy or Amazon, or in your local brick and mortar pet supplies store.

I personally would imagine the flare-ups are coincidental, and that he more than likely picked up something from the vet office. I am very glad that he seems to be doing better! Is he an indoor kitty? If so, in the future (they need the initial 1-year dose), request that he be given the 3-year rabies vaccine so he will have one less shot to worry about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally would imagine the flare-ups are coincidental, and that he more than likely picked up something from the vet office.
This is possible, although we were in and out quite quickly ....Definitely looking into the immune supplements, I think they'll helpgiven his early childhood on the streets .... Also going to ask the vet what else we can do to prevent more outbreaks