Cat expert needed!!!! What kind of cat is this!!! HELP!!!

bswanson97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend bought a cat from her friends mom. The lady said she was a Maine coon/Persian mix. My friend is confident the cat does have Maine coon but I am not so sure. Unfortunately there were no papers involved as proof. I am aware that it may be impossible to be sure what breed it is mixed with. I am just curious as too what you guys who know a lot about cats think.

The cat is very sweet and laid back and loves to lay on either one of us. The cat who is a girl seems to be very calm and collected in manor. She just turned 5 months, my friend has had her since she was only 7 weeks. I have been bothered by my curiosity as to what the heck kind of cat she is. She seems very exotic and again I'm aware a conclusion may be impossible to come too. But the closest possible idea as to what breed she is mixed with will bring us both closure. I love the cat, her name is eowyn (like lord of the rings) and she is roughly 5 lbs give or take, at about 5 months of age. I will include pics below. Thanks (:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's lovely! She looks like she has extra-soft fur :D.

Why does your friend think the cat has some purebred heritage? Did she get the kitten from a breeder? Very few cats have any kind of purebred background, so unless she did buy the kitty from a breeder, it's pretty unlikely.

I don't see anything that would make me say that she has any purebred Maine Coon or Persian. She's of average size for her age.

She's a blue tabby with white, looks like she's a shorthair (but with extra poofy short fur).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bswanson97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with you. My friend is convinced she has Maine coon in her but I honestly do not think so. Although, her paws are rather large compared to the other cat she has. My friend told me her hair is getting thicker. But she is very soft. I wonder if tabbys have big paws as well?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with you. My friend is convinced she has Maine coon in her but I honestly do not think so. Although, her paws are rather large compared to the other cat she has. My friend told me her hair is getting thicker. But she is very soft. I wonder if tabbys have big paws as well?
Tabby is a pattern, not a breed.  Many different cats may be tabby of some sort.

I think these big paws are simply because she is young.  She hasnt grown into her size as yet.  Human boys are renown for this,  but its common with many animals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bswanson97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank y'all! I expected it not to be mixed with Maine coon. I did not know tabby was a pattern, so since that the case what breed tabby do y'all think she has in her??

Of course I know there's no way of really knowing this but it is fun to think about and appreciate any ideas! Thanks! (: