Cat Enclosures?

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As the warmer weather approaches here in Canada, I have been giving thought to bringing my kitties outside in a safe environment as we spend a lot of time in the summer in our backyard/pool area. I started to research them and the different styles. It seems when I search bunny hutches I find some things that would work at half the price, like the one below ($229 Canadian)
$_59.JPG
. If you have one, tell me what works and what doesn't. Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not that I have one for cats, but I have a rabbit so I do have a rabbit hutch. You can also try searching for chicken coops for slightly different variations on the same type of thing.

From purchasing my rabbit hutch I prefer ones that open in such a way that I can access every part. For example, the photo you posted has a small door on the lower part but you can't open the whole front bottom. You can probably lift the roofs but that bottom lower level would-be challenging. Which is important in reaching the pet in an emergency and cleaning. My hutches entire bottom front door swings open and roof lifts so I can physically reach every corner without someone being able to be out of reach or awkward.

Obviously a cat you want the bigger amount of space. I have seen catios out of rabbit and chicken hutch's with much success. Since you won't be leaving overnight you don't have to worry about foxes or others digging in.

If you have the money this is actually my favorite, Outdoor Cat Run | Large Spacious Outdoor Cat Enclosure. It's tall enough for humans to go in with their cats and you can put a cat tree in it plus the ground wire means your cat is safe if you have more aggressive predators in your area.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been thinking about building a catio ever since I trapped and brought inside a semi-feral cat and a stray cat who I had been feeding and sheltering outside for three years and one year respectively. Combined with my two "original" cats, I figured the extra space would be great! I did a ton of research and got some great ideas for the 10' x 12' space on my patio that I could convert into a catio. If you Google "catio" or search for it here on TCS, you will find tons of good information and beautiful pictures. I finally purchased the directions to build a catio from Catio Spaces and found someone to build it. Here is a link to their website: Catio Spaces: Custom & DIY Catios & Cat Enclosures

After having the two outside cats inside for almost half a year, I changed my mind. The stray cat is doing great, but the semi-feral cat still needs more time to become part of the family. I decided that a catio might be in their future, but for now, the time isn't right. I would be concerned that they would never want to come back inside or would try to escape. I would worry if neighborhood cats or other animals came too close my cats might get upset, or scared, or get territorial. Right now, everyone is using the litter box to perfection and I don't want anything to change that!

That said, I can't find anything about "the pros and cons of catios" -- I just find pros! Many, many people and cats love them and I think they are a really cool option. If you think your cats would enjoy the outside space, it would be a great gift to them!