Cat Cries Nonstop For Wet Food!!

lilcj124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats that are around 10 years old and lately the one cat has been crying nonstop for wet food. We usually feed them 2 small cans and dry food through the day but the one cat has been crying so much I started giving her an additional small can a day. This still has not worked and anytime I am in the kitchen she is crying, nudging my leg and nipping my knee or ankle. My husband will feed her in the morning and when I get up an hour later she is crying again for more. Any idea what this could be related to and what to do ? Should I take her to the vet?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She might not be getting enough calories daily? Are you feeding two 3 oz cans daily to each cat with dry food? How much dry food are you feeding? What brands of food?

A trip to the vet is always a good idea. Senior age cats can develop health issues that increased hunger is a symptom of. Ask the vet to run a senior blood work panel on your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilcj124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She might not be getting enough calories daily? Are you feeding two 3 oz cans daily to each cat with dry food? How much dry food are you feeding? What brands of food?

A trip to the vet is always a good idea. Senior age cats can develop health issues that increased hunger is a symptom of. Ask the vet to run a senior blood work panel on your cat.
I added up the calories they are getting and it is around 250 each (if they are eating equally). They are both big cats. One is like 19 pounds and the crier is probably 17. I guess we can take her to the wet just to be sure. She is acting normal otherwise.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The general recommendation is 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. 250 calories each isn't enough with your cats' current weights. 19 lbs is pretty heavy and considered overweight unless your cat is a large heavy breed.

What is your feeding set up? Do you just put food into a bowl and let the cats share? Or do each cats get their own bowls and set portions of food?

lilcj124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The general recommendation is 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. 250 calories each isn't enough with your cats' current weights. 19 lbs is pretty heavy and considered overweight unless your cat is a large heavy breed.

What is your feeding set up? Do you just put food into a bowl and let the cats share? Or do each cats get their own bowls and set portions of food?
I have been feeding them the same calorie amount for a while and the 19 pound cat has seemed pretty content. They also don't seem to have lost any weight either. Maybe the 19 pound cat is eating most of it? Worried if I up the calories they will just get fatter. We usually use one bowl for wet food and put it out 3 times a day and then give them one bowl for dry food twice a day. (I give them 1/2 cup dry in the morning and about 1/3 cup dry at night).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Yeah, you might want to watch and see if you need to set up a separate feeding situation for your crying baby. Still, a vet appt is a good idea for both of them.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have they had a recent vet visit? At their age it is very important. There are several illnesses that could cause an increase in appetite. I would suggest a good health check. Hopefully nothing serious, do keep us updated. I would suggest a health check with your vet.

lilcj124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have they had a recent vet visit? At their age it is very important. There are several illnesses that could cause an increase in appetite. I would suggest a good health check. Hopefully nothing serious, do keep us updated. I would suggest a health check with your vet.
No she hasn't. Just made an appt for next week. Hopefully can get it figured out. Thanks!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great, i think that is the best thing to do. Please let us know what they say!

lilcj124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just found out she has diabetes ! Ugh anyone have experience with this? I cant imagine having to give her insulin everyday?! I don't do well with sharp objects, needles, knives ughhh. May have to make my hubby do this. Are there any other changes we would need to make? Poor kitty.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
just found out she has diabetes ! Ugh anyone have experience with this? I cant imagine having to give her insulin everyday?! I don't do well with sharp objects, needles, knives ughhh. May have to make my hubby do this. Are there any other changes we would need to make? Poor kitty.
I have cared for several cats who have had diabetes and I was pretty nervous about the insulin at first. But it is such a tiny needle that it just slips into the cat without you or them feeling anything. It is a number of vet visits at first to get the dosage regulated but after that it is pretty straightforward and easy.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Join the FelineDiabetes.com message board:agree: The members there can give you more detailed advice and help on insulin and diet.