Cat carrier

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions for a sturdy cat carrier that can handle 18 pounds ?

my girls a big , long cats. 12 pounds and 16 pounds .

What I use now is a mini dog crate basically. It’s just too much to get around with my big girl in it. I think she is more than 16 pounds!!!

as every cat mom , I worry about something being sturdy enough to hold them.

My three crates are attached below. I don’t mind switching to hard I guess. Just always thought the cloth were more sturdy. I need something a bit smaller than the blue one (man I miss foster and smith !! Just noticed when taking the picture!).
They always roll their eyes at the vet when they have to deal with the crate! Like the cat is going on vaca or something .

it’s very hard to crate my cats so an opening on top is a must. It’s also extremely hot where I am if that matters
IMG_6455.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Do you have a particluarly strong preference about hard sided or soft--I'm not getting any indication either way?

I think you can get larger ones that are hardsided, where the softsided ones maybe don't go as large, but they can be a challenge to carry. But also, do you care if your cat has room to be able to stand up, or just crouch and turnaround?

By the way, one of the easiest ways to get a cat out of a carrier is to tilt one end of the carrier up, so that the cat eventually just walks out.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always interested in carriers I saw this thread. We use a hard sided carrier right now, but have soft sided one. Regardless, I put the carrier in the trolly below, standing it up on one end. It maybe a tight fit so try it first to be sure you can take it in and out of the trolley. It makes it so much easier when moving a heavy cat particularly if you include a hot water bottle or an ice pack depending on the weather. Cat seems to like it fine. She is more protected from other patients inside the carrier inside the trolley than just in the carrier. some of the trollies come with brakes be sure to notice if yours does and how to work it.

Note the trolley is safer than the carrier alone as the carrier can't break open in it and only one door of the carrier can be opened.

1706050914364.png

Amazon.com: Inspired Living Collapsible Ultra-Slim Pack-N-Roll, 2 Wheel Utility Cart , With Telescopic Handle - Super Strong up to 80 Lbs Load Capacity, Black : Everything Else

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would look into a rolling one, too. :)
Even a soft sided carrier with a large cat can be heavy, and the larger the hard-sided crate is, the more bulky and awkward it is to carry. A larger cat in a large, sturdy carrier can't easily be carried in one hand (unless you're stronger than I!), so you're usually stuck holding the handle with both hands out in front.
My strong preference for travel is a hard sided carrier, but I've used the softer ones in the past. The rolling one IMO would be very functional and much easier on everyone. Plus, they just look cool. :cool:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you get one, if hard sided, you might want to use twistie ties on the holes connecting the top to the bottom in ADDITION to the little plaastic screw things, just to be sure the carrier doesn't separate if and when it's dropped with the cat in it. There is nothing faster than a cat escaping from a open/broken carrier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Do you have a particluarly strong preference about hard sided or soft--I'm not getting any indication either way?

I think you can get larger ones that are hardsided, where the softsided ones maybe don't go as large, but they can be a challenge to carry. But also, do you care if your cat has room to be able to stand up, or just crouch and turnaround?

By the way, one of the easiest ways to get a cat out of a carrier is to tilt one end of the carrier up, so that the cat eventually just walks out.
I’ve always used soft because I was always afraid the hard would pop apart due to weight.
as the cats grew up and got bigger , so did the crates tho!
I do want something they can comfortably move in. However where I used to live, their vet ride was 45 mins each way . We live 5 mins from the vet now….. I think less luxury than what they have now is within reason.
there is a lot of suggestions for rolling but , house to car is all grass. Parking lot to vet , that would be bumpy yeah??

my biggest concern is something that holds the cats without worry and access thru the top.
Most of my vet trips are for nail trims. Being able to place them in thru the top without gettting clawed up is a win.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you get one, if hard sided, you might want to use twistie ties on the holes connecting the top to the bottom in ADDITION to the little plaastic screw things, just to be sure the carrier doesn't separate if and when it's dropped with the cat in it. There is nothing faster than a cat escaping from a open/broken carrier.
Yes!!! I use bread ties now on the top and sides on the soft. One of my cats is labeled as a “darter” . If the top is partly unzipped she will push her way thru. That is great advice.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Always interested in carriers I saw this thread. We use a hard sided carrier right now, but have soft sided one. Regardless, I put the carrier in the trolly below, standing it up on one end. It maybe a tight fit so try it first to be sure you can take it in and out of the trolley. It makes it so much easier when moving a heavy cat particularly if you include a hot water bottle or an ice pack depending on the weather. Cat seems to like it fine. She is more protected from other patients inside the carrier inside the trolley than just in the carrier. some of the trollies come with brakes be sure to notice if yours does and how to work it.

Note the trolley is safer than the carrier alone as the carrier can't break open in it and only one door of the carrier can be opened.

View attachment 468739

Amazon.com: Inspired Living Collapsible Ultra-Slim Pack-N-Roll, 2 Wheel Utility Cart , With Telescopic Handle - Super Strong up to 80 Lbs Load Capacity, Black : Everything Else
My cats are too big for this but that is a great idea. Makes me wonder if a small dolly would work.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two of these. They don't open at the top but it's possible to stand them on end and put the cat in that way. They're very sturdy - I've had mine for years - and are airline-safe (Phoebe has made two two-hour flights in them). They're also not too hard to clean. This is an Australian website but I'm sure the design is available elsewhere too.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback mentions and pictures is the one we have had for a couple of decades. We had similar ones before. They are sturdy and we, also, stand them on end to put the cat in. I like the hard ones in case other patients at the vet get too rowdy. The mentioned here can take a direct hit from two overly excited golden retriever puppies without dumping the cat. Puppies rolled on by, I don't think they noticed. Just saying.

I think ours was a different brand cause we got it in the US, but I'll grant you I haven't been able to find anything similar in the stores I can reach in the US. Doesn't mean it isn't there, just I haven't found it. I would contact the company and see if you can get it.