Cat burned whiskers on a candle

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat recently burned her whiskers on a candle. Just the ends of them, as she was sniffing the candle and got too close.

I found a photo in a Reddit thread about this same issue. This pic is from Reddit, but it looks just like my mom's cat's whiskers (I wasn't able to get my own pic when I saw her).

It made my mom worried, but I know they will eventually fall out and be replaced with new whiskers that grow back. I'm posting about this in this forum just because it's interesting, but not anything to truly worry about. I'm also wondering if any other cats have inadvertently damaged their whiskers in some way.

Attachments

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
😄 Yep! Most cats learn by doing and usually won't do it again.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, bless her. I really have to watch my cats closely when I burn candles if the power goes out. I haven't had an experience like that, but once I was petting my dad's one-eyed cat and felt an extremely sharp "whisker" to the extent that I drew my hand back. Apparently, Cocoa got too close the cactus plant in the backyard and the rest was history. I pulled it out and no harm was done. Goodness, that looked painful, though.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you said, whiskers are normally shed and will grow back.
What I wanted to say is that it is now believed that cats use their whiskers for checking whether their head (and body) will go through an opening.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats use their whiskers to feel all sorts of things. They can push that knob where the whiskers grow forward, making a brush straight across. Mingo has come up to my face when I was falling asleep and brushed my face all over with his whiskers, just checking to see if it's me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was looking this up before starting this thread, I was made aware of the practice of saving a cat's shed whiskers. Apparently, some people do that... they collect whiskers that fall out and keep them in little jars.

Of course, cat people would do that :lol:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was looking this up before starting this thread, I was made aware of the practice of saving a cat's shed whiskers. Apparently, some people do that... they collect whiskers that fall out and keep them in little jars.

I have thought of that but I know I would forget where I put them. My cats are 9,10,and 11 yrs old and it hasn't happened yet

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do this lol I seem to find Gabby's whiskers very easily on the floor. I never really look for them but find them quite often. Maybe part is due to me vacuuming all the time and I walk looking down at the ground most of the time so a long white thing stands out. I love saving her whiskers. I really thought I was just a weirdo for doing so. Never really gave any thought of other people doing so as well.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I do this lol I seem to find Gabby's whiskers very easily on the floor. I never really look for them but find them quite often. Maybe part is due to me vacuuming all the time and I walk looking down at the ground most of the time so a long white thing stands out. I love saving her whiskers. I really thought I was just a weirdo for doing so. Never really gave any thought of other people doing so as well.
How old is your cat? Just curious why I've never been so lucky except with my old cat josie

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Amazing Things About Whiskers, on the BBC

and I love the presenter's enthusiasm and style. Agreed?
I've just seen this.. even though it's about all animal whiskers, it's well worth a look! Great mini-doco.