Cat breeds/sizes

lynx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that the breed standard does specify for medium-large sized cats. I'm just saying that I myself have never seen one that I would call large. I may have a different idea of what a medium sized cat is however, because I've had some rather large/fat cats over the years. My boy is 13lbs and to me he's small. His mother was tiny and every bengal I've seen in cat shows not much larger. So perhaps saying that they are small-medium isn't quite right, but I wouldn't say medium-large either. Maybe that's what the breed standard says because that is the actual preference rather than the reality. Being a somewhat newer breed there is still a long way to go to attain total breed confirmation. I've also seen a lot of bengals with long thin tails rather than short thick ones, and equally kitties with large ears rather than the specified small. They wouldn't show as well, but there is no shortage of these cats at all within the breed.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think Simba will get any bigger? Like I said, he just turned 8 months old. He is by no means a large cat, and I think you'd have to stretch it about to even call him medium. I think he's beautiful, but I'm a little disappointed in his size. I spent A LOT of money on him, and I'm sure his small size makes him of a lesser quality. I wouldn't give him up, though. I love him to pieces.

lynx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BengalCats would be the best person to ask, but I *think* Toby did a bit more growing after 8 months. At that point I think it's just a bit more growing and then filling out. I was disapointed at first that he wasn't large. But then I remembered how heavy my ex's cat was (23lbs) and how much it HURT when he stood on me, or how my leg would practically fall asleep when he lay in my lap. I think he knew he was heavy too, because he would jump on my bladder in the morning to get that outta-bed-fast reaction. Actually now as I'm rereading what I just wrote it makes me wonder why I've set myself for getting a Ragdoll next. Ah well, good things come in small packages!