Cat ate something and blocked his intestines

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! We ended up taking Mr.catto to the vet yesterday. His breathing is normal again after his last treatment but now he was refusing food. I got worried,cuz he loves food. So we took him to the vet yesterday, they did an ultrasound and found out that he basically swallowed something and it got stuck in his intestine, which was weird cuz he did poop and pee normally.. So I was wondering....what it might be? Our house is petproofed. We checked the toys, but every one of them were OK. He did ate a little of his litterbox clumping sand a week ago... and he does not vomit out the hair...so I am wondering if something like this....sand OR the hair blocking the intestines...is something "common"? Like did this happen to other cats ? or it might be something else in there...but then what? He got laxatives yesterday and today we are going back to the vet for another round of ultrasound :(

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He did ate a little of his litterbox clumping sand a week ago.
I think this is your answer since cats that eat clumping cat litter should go the vet ASAP because the absorbency of the cat litter is dangerous for their system. It can cause choking or an intestinal blockage. Good luck today when he goes for another ultrasound. :crossfingers: Please keep us posted on his progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think this is your answer since cats that eat clumping cat litter should go the vet ASAP because the absorbency of the cat litter is dangerous for their system. It can cause choking or an intestinal blockage. Good luck today when he goes for another ultrasound. :crossfingers: Please keep us posted on his progress.

yes it was it... it came out with the laxatives...but unfortunately it caused or something happened in meantime\before... he got diagnosed yesterday with renal failure... he is now on IV fluids, injections and meds. We cried all afternoon and night yesterday...they told us that the treatment is 4 days...it should work but if it won't..then the will die.... but I think he feels a little better, he asked for food...drinks..and all :( he did not eat much..but at least he ate something and asked for food. We got a veterinary renal diet for him now from our vet. He is a warrior. I HOPE he survives this.He is so young for all of this..:cold: it just breaks my heart..

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there anything he could have gotten into at home to cause the renal failure? Lillies? Flowers or plants? Human topical products? Human medications? Anything you can think of? I have never heard of the litter being ingested causing renal failure. Is it regular clay clumping litter that he ate?

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there anything he could have gotten into at home to cause the renal failure? Lillies? Flowers or plants? Human topical products? Human medications? Anything you can think of? I have never heard of the litter being ingested causing renal failure. Is it regular clay clumping litter that he ate?
this is thr biggest issue,that our house is petproof,because we have many pets, I mean 4 dogs and our cat. Catto is never going outside because of his legs, for flowers I only have a few cactus on a table. Anything else is out of reach for him and in closed places. The sand.. well it was a totally new one we got because the one we used was out of stock so we got this. It is scented and with catnip. So when I first put it in the litter, our cat got into the litter and layed in there and did not want to get out..and ate from the sand, when I observed it, I took out the sand and went to get him tofu sand, which he also likes and will never try to eat and changed that other one with it. But the thing is he did eat some amount of that orange scented catnip sand. Now around a year ago, he had urinary issues and crystals,he was on treatment for a very long time with it but he recovered,got well, got his normal weight back so I have no idea how he got this renail failure so suddenly

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I absolutely believe what you are saying about your cat eating the appealing litter, but also wonder about the idea that it caused renal failure. The reason for this is that some dogs, and one of my GSDs was one, are notorious cat poop eaters, which means that they ingest litter. While the problem had to be solved, the dog never had anything close to renal failure.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
I absolutely believe what you are saying about your cat eating the appealing litter, but also wonder about the idea that it caused renal failure. The reason for this is that some dogs, and one of my GSDs was one, are notorious cat poop eaters, which means that they ingest litter. While the problem had to be solved, the dog never had anything close to renal failure.
our vet was not able to tell us from what our cat got renal failure. So since we monthly was taking our cat to the vet for control,because of his past urinary crystal issues , and he never had anything like this bad with his kidneys, to be honest, in my head, the only logical thing that adds up ,that he got this so suddenly, is the litter sand or that he was put on medicine for a very long time. These are the only logical things I can think of that ads up in my head,logically unfortunatly.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you remember the name of the orange scented cat nip litter?
yes, it is called MiauMiau orange and catnip scented. Now I have used their tofu sand,which was OK. So I don't know to be honest at this point. It just doesn't add up :( :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds more like AKI - acute kidney injury, often triggered by a specific event or some form of insult to the kidneys. There is a section of Tanya's web site that discusses AKI along with numerous reference articles. It may or may not help for you to read it, but it does state that treatment can be long and lengthy in some cases. Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) (felinecrf.org)
thank you very much! He is since on fluid therapy and antibiotics, now we have to give the fluid therapy at home too. I really hope he will get better. I am trying to do everything that is possible. I asked our vet about kidney transplant, but she told me that it is not possible in our country :cold: