Cat (and life) wisdom from Mark Twain

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove lid. She will never sit on a hot stove lid again - and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." -Mark Twain.

Flambe is a case in point.

He HAS loved playing around the tub while I take a bath. He has a super ball he likes to bat around on the sill (wide sill), and he likes to poke at my toes in the water.

Until, that is, the other day, when the water got a little tepid. I turned on the hot water to warm it up, and Flambe batted at the running water. He jumped like he had been bitten, and ran out of the room. Now he's veeeerrrrrryyyyyy cautious around the tub. It bites!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thats funny! One of ours jumped on the woodstove (luckily the baffle keeps the top from getting terribly hot) I don't suppose he will do that again.

Here is a favorite from M. Twain as well: " Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve the man, but would deteriorate the cat."

I tend to agree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is also reported to have said, "All men are descended from apes...except redheads. They are descended from cats."

Guess what color his hair was!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always liked his later works a lot.
I'm not posting quotes from those, because while I think they're amusing, many on here would be incredibly offended - probably more so since they didn't realize he held those views.