Cat Allergies? Try These Breeds

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A new member just mentioned the Siberian cat as low allergy, which is new to me.  I knew about the Russian Blues, and of course, the Sphinx, having so little hair (only the short undercoat) are easier for those with cat allergies, but I ran across a new breed at the TICA site that I'm entranced with.  The Lykoi.  It is a nearly hairless cat, and a natural mutation, so the breed is health.  Best of all, they look like little werewolves.  They're still new, and rare, and so they are a bit pricey, but if you love cats even as they make your eyes water and your nose stop up, they're worth looking into!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are gorgeous!! I remember seeing a Cats 101 episode on Animal Planet where they claimed that Savannahs were good for people with allergies also. I'm a shelter cat girl but if I were forced at gunpoint to get a purebred cat, the Savannah would be in my top 3 choices. They are just stunning. They probably wouldn't win though. After much consideration, the winner would most likely be a blue (grey) British Shorthair because of how teddy bear like they are. They make me melt like ice in the Florida sun.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's really no such thing as non-allergenic cats. 

It's not the hair that triggers allergies. People with cat allergies are really allergic to proteins in the cat's saliva and dander. 

However, the best cats for people with allergies are hairless cat breeds, breeds with short hair or breeds that don't shed because they have less dander. But, that doesn't eliminate the proteins that cause allergic reactions and are present in a cat's saliva and skin oils, which are carried through the home by shed fur.

Overall, the best thing to do is to tackle the problem by rigorously cleaning your house (vacuuming, mopping, dusting) and getting an air-purifier. You can also wipe your cat down daily with a warm, damp micro-fiber cloth. I don't recommend bathing your cat daily or even weekly because it damages their skin and fur over time!

I have seasonal allergies and, living in the mid-west states in the U.S., I present allergy symptoms 90% of the time. I take medications during peak seasons, but they don't work very well because I have a heart condition and antihistamines trigger my A-Fib (rapid heart beat). Having cats possibly exacerbate my symptoms, but I refuse to admit the possibility of having an allergy to cats! LOL 

My doctor told me I can either avoid cats or purchase stock in tissues. Guess which option I chose? ACHOOOO! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

There's really no such thing as non-allergenic cats. 

It's not the hair that triggers allergies. People with cat allergies are really allergic to proteins in the cat's saliva and dander. 

However, the best cats for people with allergies are hairless cat breeds, breeds with short hair or breeds that don't shed because they have less dander. But, that doesn't eliminate the proteins that cause allergic reactions and are present in a cat's saliva and skin oils, which are carried through the home by shed fur.
I did know that.  And that's why I thought of these amazingly unique little semi-hairless guys.  Plus...you gotta love a cat that looks like a were-wolf.

And I so sympathize with your allergies.  I have over 400 pollen & mold allergies, plus several drug allergies  such as penicillin and anything morphine related...which kinda makes sense, since I'm allergic to so many molds, and to poppy pollen.  By mid-Novermber I'll be over the worst of my fall allergies, and will have a good spell till the spring allergies kick in around the end of February.

To add to all of that, Hekitty has developed some severe allergies and is currently scratching and licking her fur entirely off.  She's just had her anti-itch shot, and it's a little better.  Poor baby.  She's looking decidedly moth-eaten.  Be glad when all the testing is done and we know what to keep her away from.

Last edited by a moderator:

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted a Savannah cat and one of my friends breed them. I read about them being hypoallergenic, but that's a lot of mis-information.

When I played with the Savannah kittens, I was fine. But one of my friends has grown Savannahs and I get a severe allergic reaction from them. One time I pet them and rubbed my eye, my entire face was swollen and my eye whites blistered.

Even when my friend comes out and I give him a hug, that's enough to trigger some itchy eyes and palette!!

No cats are non-allergenic!!