Capstar side-effects?

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave two kitties Capstar 2 days ago, and one has had trouble breathing since. It sounds struggling and wet. And she's lethargic.

I've given her Capstar a dozen times before and no reaction, but it's too big a coincidence surely since it happened right after?

Assuming this is a side-effect, will it go away on its own? What can I do to help? (Go to a vet, yes, anything I can do myself though?)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In a cat any sign of respiratory distress is of urgent concern and needs to see a vet imediately

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since this cat has had Capstar before with no issue, it could be pure coincidence and something else is going on. So, I agree that you should probably have her checked out by a vet. You can take a video of her breathing to show the vet, just in case you start to see positive changes before the vet sees her.

Cat's bodies do change over time, so it is possible that she now has acquired some sort of allergy to it. I don't know if what she is doing would correlate to panting, but that, as well as an elevated heart rate, are possible side effects of Capstar.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone happen to know WHAT in a bad medication reaction would cause breathing problems? I would think something like that would be so bad it would kill her in a day, or she'd be getting better. 😕

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does anyone happen to know WHAT in a bad medication reaction would cause breathing problems? I would think something like that would be so bad it would kill her in a day, or she'd be getting better. 😕
The thing is - you don't actually KNOW that her breathing problem has anything to do with any medication, bad or otherwise.

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course. But given the night before she was in high spirits and ate a ton (into which the pill was mixed), and the next day she's suddenly bad with no warning, seems logical.

Just call it my curiosity then. If a cat has one of the LISTED side effects of Capstar including trouble breathing, what is actually causing that? Is it temporary until the stuff leaves her system, or is it shutting down her lungs?

(I don't expect anyone who doesn't work for Capstar to know, but I am curious.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This article does mention difficulty breathing as a side effect, and although it doesn't offer why it occurs or the duration, it does say you should notify your vet even saying it could be considered an emergency. Please call your vet and tell them what is going on.
Capstar® (Nitenpyram) | PetMD

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hang on! Guys! You're telling me there's a doctor what specializes in medicine for animals??

Seriously, people, I don't need to hear with every single reply that I should take her to a vet. I know I should take her to a vet. But did you know that vet's cost +gasp+ money?

I remember going on the internet 20 years ago with my various horrific health problems, asking for help and home remedies and causes, and people would say nothing other than to tell me to go to a doctor. Why would I be on the internet asking strangers for help if I could afford a doctor? Madness! Twenty years later, here we are still doin it. C'mon guys.

I'm sure there's something in this world I could do for her myself to help, but the vets say the same thing on the phone "Oh we couldn't advise you there has to be an exam." That is a lie. If you listened to the problem you could maybe advise fluids and a vitamin or something, but of course you won't, so here I am seeking help from strangers.

I've spent thousands of dollars on my cats rescued from the streets, hundreds of dollars on this cat specifically having rotten teeth removed in an effort to fix her unfixable stomatitis, hand feeding her tiny nibbles at a time for hours petting her petting petting her speaking gently or she'll starve herself because of the pain. Hundreds of dollars spent on dozens of different flea treatments because she has a horrible violent flea allergy (none of which can COMPLETELY get rid of my apparently GMO fleas), thousands of hours, thousands of dollars on these creatures, I KNOW she needs a vet but there is no more MONEY. I am on a half dose of my asthma medication so that I can not quite breathe but not quite die so I could buy her the Capstar!

So I understand if you don't know the answer to my questions, that's fine don't post! But please spare me the blindly privileged take-her-to-the-vet comments, people, okay?

We did exist as living, healthy creatures BEFORE doctors and vets. There has to be something I can do myself to just help. I had a friend with bad arthritis whose doctor said it was only fixable with surgery and even then it wouldn't be fixed. I fixed it for him with vitamins. He now has literally no arthritis. Surely there's something I can do for her myself if we think outside the box yes?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry no one else has responded to say their cat had breathing problems with Capstar and that they went away when the Capstar wore off. But, even if they had, your cat's breathing issue has continued beyond the duration of the Capstar's intended timeline. That is part of the concern.

The reason no one can come up with home remedies is likely because there are none that anyone knows of. The reason for that is because - as you said - no one knows what is actually happening with the Capstar than can cause breathing difficulties. I am not advocating that you do, but y6u could try running a hot shower to accumulate steam in a bathroom with the door closed, and then sit in there with her to see if that helps any. But what happens if whatever is going on, is made worse by such a suggestion? That is why no one here wants you to just try anything - because it could make matters worse.

I honestly don't know why you don't call Capstar and see what they say. If it came from them that your cat should see a vet, would that be more trust-worthy? I understand the financial issues, but borrowing money from a close family member or friend might be worth pursuing if you truly thought there was cause for concern.

I hope she turns out to be OK, and then you can at least advise the next person who has a similar issue that there are reasonable odds it isn't life threatening.

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have neither friends nor family.

I will see if calling Capstar is a possibility, but I'm sure they'll tell me to go to a vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also try contacting the FDA about it too - maybe they have some reporting information on adverse effects. Just trying to give you some other options for research. FDA at 1-888-FDA-VETS or How to Report Animal Drug and Device Side Effects and Product Problems.
Capstar® (NOVARTIS ANIMAL HEALTH US, INC.) (scbt.com)
To report suspected adverse drug events, contact Novartis Animal Health at 1-800-637-0281 or the FDA at 1-800-FDA-VETS or: Report a Problem. For a complete listing of adverse reactions for nitenpyram reported to the CVM see: Product Safety Information. I hope there is some help somewhere in this information.

I also rechecked this site for anyone posting in the past about Capstar adverse reactions, and really didn't find anything.

In the latter half of this TCS article is a listing of organizations that you might consider reaching out to, to see if you can get some assistance should you decide to seek a vet's opinion. I would have searched for some in your area myself - and still will - if I knew where you are located.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life - TheCatSite

Last edited: