Cancer or not?

LChevremont

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, can someone please help me. My 10 year old, unspayed egyptian man female just developed a small lump on her belly. I can pinch it between my fingers and move it around with no discomfort to her. She has her appetite, is going to bathroom regularly and no pain. She has had no illness in the past and when I took her to the vet to have it looked at, she immediately told me, its most likely cancer because its close to a nipple and that we need to remove it immediately and have her spayed during the process. I am really concerned about this because she did not even take a biopsy and wanted to do pre-surgery blood work that day. Should I be concerned?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would insist on a biopsy, preferably after it is removed completely. Maybe even a second opinion. It could be a fat-filled cyst which is very common in older cats, the fact that it is movable and soft points more to a cyst. Anything close to a nipple on an unspayed female should be checked out as they are very much more prone to mammary cancer and others, spaying lowers this risk quite a bit. I, myself, would find another opinion, she seems a little too fast on a surgery option without even knowing what it is.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with di and bob di and bob about going to another vet - and, ideally, it should be with a vet from a different practice in order to help ensure you receive a neutral second opinion. It would seem that they might be able to perform a needle aspiration of the tissue within the lump to look for cancer cells - much less invasive than a biopsy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My dermatologist removes anything suspicious, no biopsy first. For some doctors with some lesions that is what their philosopy is. However, you are paying the bill and have a right to control what is done. If you are stuck with the same vet, ask for a biopsy first. If she flat out refuses, then find another vet.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My spayed 12 year old first cat had mammary cancer, luckily we got it when it was pretty small and was removed with no problem. It was just an itty bitty lump near one of her nipples. The only way to tell what it is, is a biopsy. Honestly at 10 years old chances are pretty good that it is mammary cancer just given the age range.. If caught early and removed quickly then it the cat has the best chance of a long life. I honestly would just get it removed and get your cat spayed at the same time, at 10 years old you are not going to be breeding her anyways, so why not. The spay incision would probably be close if not the exact same area that the mass would be removed so it wouldn't be much more invasive.

Oysterbay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
50% of our pets are expected to have cancer diagnoses before the age of ten. But it's not a death sentence, and the fix doesn't have to be invasive or expensive. If you're openminded, put her on fenbendazole which dissolves tumors and other cancers. You'll find the protocol at Vitality Science (a pet supplement company which doesn't make any money from the protocol, they were just the first to publicize the effectiveness on animals).