Canadians cost/what proteins?

kaldrina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm working on switching my kitten to raw, right now I am using the TCfeline mix because I have some that I bought to attempt the switch in my older girl (who hated it)

My questions are, is it ok to feed a lot of beef or pork instead of fowl? (muscle meat only, I don't mean bones as I am using TCfeline)

and how much does it cost to feed a 'normal' raw diet? (prey model)

I've been checking my flyers for the past few days, beef and pork are definitely the least expensive at $2.99-$3.99 for muscle meats, but its definitely more expensive then the canned I'm feeding right now.

thanks for any advice :)

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kaldrina  

l'm in Canada and feed raw - ground, not PMR. lt's okay to give your kitties beef and pork in a rotation with as many protein sources as you can get your hands on. Mine don't like pork or beef as much as they like chicken, so l have to "hide" it in with my ground mixes. lf you have a freezer, wait for huge sales and stock up. l do this and load up the freezer, l don't use the 3 month rule for the cats' meat, it stays in there indefinitely until l use it. l've got chicken at $1.49 and duck at $1.99/lb and turkey at 88c/lb (unfortunately they hate raw turkey, but will eat it cooked). lf you have a Freshco or anything similar nearby, they have nice sales quite often. l got a half-pig and some unique fowl from a nearby farm - maybe that's an option for you? (sorry, l don't know where you live).