Can you feed raw to a cat with chicken allergy?

seattleeco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my two cats is allergic to chicken, and possibly to all poultry. How much of an issue would that pose in terms of the variety we're supposed to have in raw diets? I live in the middle of Chicago and probably can't rustle up venison (her current tolerated food), but rabbit, bison, beef, etc, should be ok. Any thoughts will be appreciated -- thanks!

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of cats are allergic to meat in the cooked form but not in the raw form. Are they allergic to actual raw chicken?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

A lot of cats are allergic to meat in the cooked form but not in the raw form. Are they allergic to actual raw chicken?
Honestly some are... I had it with Kandie she could have cooked chicken but not raw ( she loved raw beef and rabbit) ... I of course at the same time had a dog with the opposite issue

IMHO try the rabbit with bison first

alias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It shouldn't be too much of an issue if you provide enough variety of other types of meat, such as heart, kidney, liver, pork (which is a hit with most cats), lamb and beef (allthough alot of cats don't like it). Red meat is high in taurine so this is the favourable aspect of feediing predominatly dark meat.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alias

It shouldn't be too much of an issue if you provide enough variety of other types of meat, such as heart, kidney, liver, pork (which is a hit with most cats), lamb and beef (allthough alot of cats don't like it). Red meat is high in taurine so this is the favourable aspect of feediing predominatly dark meat.
Keep in mind that kidney and liver are part of the organ percentages and are not considered meats.

I think you've posted the ratios before, Alias, but in case you haven't, the most generally accepted raw feeding guideline is 80% / 10% / 5% / 5%. That is: 80%-87% meat, fat, skin, sinew, connective tissue and heart, 5%-10% edible bone, 3%-5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seattleeco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone. We're starting with Nature's Variety in venison or rabbit, depending on which the local pet store has -- my plan is to continue feeding wet in the morning and transition the evening kibble to raw medallions (we just can't afford to feed two cats primarily raw, and I don't have the time or setup to DIY right now). I'll let you know how it goes!

alias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Keep in mind that kidney and liver are part of the organ percentages and are not considered meats.

I think you've posted the ratios before, Alias, but in case you haven't, the most generally accepted raw feeding guideline is 80% / 10% / 5% / 5%. That is: 80%-87% meat, fat, skin, sinew, connective tissue and heart, 5%-10% edible bone, 3%-5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ.
Thanks, i am aware of the ratios, i have been feeding raw for a while now. I was just listing all the muscle and offal but i apologise, i should have just stuck to the muscle meat.

alias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by seattleeco

we just can't afford to feed two cats primarily raw
IMHO i find it the same price if not cheaper to feed my two raw rather than canned or kibble, but then my butcher is very reasonably priced.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alias

IMHO i find it the same price if not cheaper to feed my two raw rather than canned or kibble, but then my butcher is very reasonably priced.
There was a HUGE drop in price for me when I switched from canned to grocery-store sourced raw for my six cats. Feeding canned to only two cats for eleven days just cost me $36.27. That same amount will feed three times as many cats for eight days - no exaggeration (I just went shopping for both - I've got two fosters here, as well as my crew - so I've got the numbers right in front of me).

Turn it around - For $36.44, I can feed my six cats raw for eight days or, for almost exactly twice that, at $72.54, I can feed them canned for those same eight days.

People tell me all the time that they can't afford to feed raw; I tell 'em I can't afford to feed commercial!

In any case, I think the OP isn't quite ready for balancing her kitties' meals on her own just yet and commercial raw truly is incredibly, eye-poppingly expensive. I'd be afraid to calculate the cost were I to feed commercially-produced raw to my crew. *whew*

Good for you, Seattleeco, for making these efforts for your cats!