Can rotating proteins lead to litter box issues?

kitty queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently posted about my cat getting sick from steak and having trouble getting her back on to her raw.  I finally did and she is now on Primal brand Turkey frozen with freeze dried as "snacks".     Because of my previous issues with her , I'm really nervous to start introducing any new proteins to her diet.  Red meat is out of the question in my book because it took me a month to get her back onto her raw and had lots of diarrhea to deal with in the process.  

She is also getting a probiotic as suggested 1/2 morning and night with her meals. 

So my question is, since I don't want to give her straight meat as snacks, but I keep hearing (correct me if I'm wrong) that variety is the key to raw diets, is it a same choice to buy multiple brands or flavors of frozen raw and give her different types for each meal or even mixing them a bit? 

Example:  Breakfast Primal Turkey,   Dinner Stella and Chewy's Chicken       Next day   Primal  Chicken and Salmon for breakfast and dinner is Instinct duck?  

I REALLY  REALLY
     want to avoid any more digestive issues. 

I come from a kibble background where giving a different brand of food was a horrible thing that instantly led to diarrhea. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't believe rotating proteins will cause a litter box issue; of course, the protein might cause a litter box issue but not the rotation in and of itself.
Turkey and chicken are usually safe "white meat" proteins.
Has your cat had duck before--it's a fairly fatty meal, at least the kind of duck my nephew hunts.
I believe Primal makes pheasant as well as rabbit, which your cat might tolerate.
Ritz doesn't like to throw up (she is always hungry right afterwards); and neither do my carpets. Ritz throws up if she has gone a long time without food (excess bile/stomach acid); given my work schedule, that is most every week day. I've learned to feed her red meat in the morning and white/mild meat in the evening. But sometimes that excludes the darker parts of white meat, like chicken thigh. I'm experimenting with giving Ritz a few freeze dried treats five or so minutes before her evening meal.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Variety can be daily, weekly, monthly. It really depends on what your cat tolerates in my opinion.

I rotate daily with my three cats, but I started two of them as kittens and I might have an issue with one of them if I do a cold turkey switch between Raw Duck and Raw Lamb.

I've read not all cats will tolerate beef. I stick with raw lamb and raw duck, canned lamb, venison, chicken, rabbit.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has had canned duck, not raw. So it is something I want to try but primal doesn't make duck I don't think and instinct does. Do you think it would be safe to rotate brands with meals? Or is there really no way to know until I try it?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is any reason to expect problems with rotating meats or brands. It is always possible that a particular brand will contain something that doesn't agree with one or more of your kitties but generally there shouldn't be a problem. Every cat is different though. I know some cats have a problem with beef, for example, but none of mine do.

lindamh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rotate proteins as much as I can -- usually every 2 or 3 meals.   I have 3 cats who are intolerant of beef, one that is intolerant of poultry, and one that is intolerant of any raw food.  (Intolerant -- eat, throw up in about 10 minutes!)  The rest of them get beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, pork or rabbit (all homemade) or venison or quail (commercial raw).  I've never had litter box issues from changing the proteins.