Can anyone tell me what breed my cats look like

corrine027

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know the mom is a calico she was our cat the kittens where born at my house but i have no idea what the father is they are more wild then our other cat but love everyone View media item 274006

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They all seem like domestic short hairs, although kittens can be hard to tell so they might be more medium haired or long haired when they get older. For coloring, the one in the first several pictures looks mostly like a spotted brown tabby with white or a mackerel (striped) brown tabby with white, although with the splotches of red on her stomach, she could be considered a "torbie" instead of just tabby. 

The mother could be called a torbie with white, or a calico tabby.

The kittens also look like mackerel brown tabbies with white, with the exception of the orange one, which would be a red mackerel tabby with white.

Please do not let the mother outside again until she is spayed, because she can get pregnant even now! It's important that everyone gets spayed or neutered as soon as they reach 4 months, because kittens can get pregnant pretty young! If money is an issue, you can call local rescue organizations and see what low cost clinics they recommend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corrine027

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The older cats in the pictures are two of the kittens that we kept the mother and the two kittens are spayed and the male is neutered. They love to play outside so they are inside outside pets and thank you cause we have no idea who the dad is we have never seen another cat around our place but they are amazing babies no matter the breed we love them just really curious to know what they where!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As all the kittens are tabbies, its highly probable the father was a tabby too.

That is not totally sure, as momma is not only a calico, she does carry tabby to - she is a "caliby".    If she has the tabby gene doubled, all her children will be tabbies.

If the gene is single, it needs a tabby daddy to cover up the rest of them.

Right, Heureka!  the red kittens - he is the key.  He has no extra tabby gene - red is naturally tabbied.

So, both parents are tabbies, singel gened tabbies.   It gives exactly these proportions - almost all, but one, are tabbies.  Some doubled, some singled.

The red is technically a tabby too, but its because he is red - red shows up the tabby pattern by itself.

All kittens seems to carry white.   White splotch gene is strong, but if all kittens have it, at least one of the parents have it doubled.  (probably - the statistics arent totally ironclad).

If both parents were carriers of the white spot gene singled - it would be the same story as with the tabby gene - almost all but one should have white. Probably.

Here, all kittens have it...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corrine027

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you that's amazing to know!