Caging for Birth Question

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I set up the crate for Spots and she does not like it! I have the door open, blankets and some dry food inside. I know she is close but really have no clue as to when it will happen.
My question is, she is pretty much confined to one room now, the doors to all the others are shut. Should I wait until she seems to be in labor to lock her up? Boy that sounds bad!
I am afraid that if she doesn't go in on her own and labor begins, she may stall it when I do move her....

cupcake1234516

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a big dog crate for my cat and she wouldnt go in it at all. I put her in a room with my christmas, halloween stuff and she ended up haveing them in a box.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Easy went into labor, I had already set up a table in the bedroom that I had draped blankets on top of with an opening in the corner for a door with blankets inside. When she went into labor she came to my lap and tried to have her babies on me. I picked her up and put her in her nest and she continued with her labor and delivery with no problem.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my queens were within a week of delivery, they were caged with their boxes and food/water/litter pan. They were let out for supervised time for stretching their legs, but if I was not there or at nite, they were caged.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I have closed her in the bedroom with the cage. The cage door is open but she doesn't go in it. We puther in it while we were hanging out in the room, and she went to sleep, but every other time she has been in it she digs at the bottom trying to get out and then starts crying. I did/do put some dry food in there so that she will get used to it.
But I will not close her up until I am sure she is in active labor. My husband gets up at 3:30 a.m. to go to work and he would never get any sleep if she howled all night, every night, besides I woud feel bad about that....