Buttered Gelcaps?

lueyfufu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apologies in advance if this is a ridiculous question. :)

After almost a year of wrapping Gus's daily dose of Cerenia (and every other day dose of Mirtazapine) in Pill Pocket dough before sticking it down his throat, I finally got some #5 gelcaps and am ready to ditch the Pill Pockets. (Especially after reading it can hinder absorption of Cerenia!)

I've read that the gelcap goes down better if you coat it with butter, but my dumb question is: how much butter do you put on there? Do you glop it on, or is it just a really thin little tiny bit? Anyone willing to post a photo of your buttered gelcaps? :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it goes on the outside at least thats what I did when I had to take horsepill antibiotics. It was a gelcap but you can't crush or split it. I just put enough on that it becomes a bit slippery.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it goes on the outside at least thats what I did when I had to take horsepill antibiotics. It was a gelcap but you can't crush or split it. I just put enough on that it becomes a bit slippery.
Yes, you just want enough so the gelcap slides easier down their throat. Doesn't need to be a huge amount.