Bump Adjacent to Cat's Anus

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Lindsey, an eight year old Maine Coon with no known health conditions, has developed a small pale bump at roughly the 3 o' clock position just right of her anus. She's a happy, confident cat whose tail is often sticking straight up, so I'm aware of how her backside usually looks and this bump is definitely new as of the last day or two. That seems like far too rapid growth to be some sort of tumor, so I'm thinking it could be an infected anal scent gland. It's midnight and I can't get to the vet right now, so I'm posting this in hope that someone here has encountered something like this before.

As I've posted previously regarding my other cat Casper, there are no good emergency vets in my town. So it would be great if this did not require immediate medical attention, but if it does, I'll make an emergency appointment for Lindsey and hope the emergency vet doesn't do more harm than good, as has been our past experience.

I'm attaching a photo of the bump.
LindseyAnalBump.jpg

I'll add that Lindsey is showing no signs of discomfort. She seems perfectly normal, happy, energetic, and playful. I observed shortly after my original post a small amount of thick white discharge from her bump, after which it appeared smaller than it does in the photo I posted. Can a cat get something like a pimple on her backside?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guess would be an anal gland that is full, or possibly impacted that might need attention from a vet. There's a chance it might empty on its own, you'll see a brownish fluid if that happens. 🙂

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If not an anal gland that is filling up, it could be a cyst of some sort. I wouldn't consider it an emergency from what you have described, but definitely worth a visit with your regular vet. Maybe send them a pic to see what they say when you call to make an appt?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. If not an anal gland that is filling up, it could be a cyst of some sort. I wouldn't consider it an emergency from what you have described, but definitely worth a visit with your regular vet. Maybe send them a pic to see what they say when you call to make an appt?
I sent the photo to my regular vet (who has actually never seen Lindsey before, because Lindsey doesn't go outside and has not had any significant health problems in many years).

I was thinking the bump had something to do with her anal glands, but now as I understand the anatomy more, that seems less likely. The anal glands drain into the anus, whereas this bump was exuding some sort of whitish paste on the exterior of her body. It reminds me more of a pimple than anything else. It shrank a little more overnight, but is still noticeable.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The anal glands are barely visible, but if you look at a diagram of them - or, really very closely on your cat - they are located at the 4-5 and 7-8 positions of an analog clock, using the anus as the center of the clock. They don't really drain into the anus, but rather are expelled/drained by the motion of defecating, so usually are part of the stool.

It does look like a pimple, but that is why I suggested it could be a cyst - not sure how common a pimple would be that close to the anus, but I guess you never know. The whitish paste could be from a pimple, or it could be from an infection.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The anal glands are barely visible, but if you look at a diagram of them - or, really very closely on your cat - they are located at the 4-5 and 7-8 positions of an analog clock, using the anus as the center of the clock. They don't really drain into the anus, but rather are expelled/drained by the motion of defecating, so usually are part of the stool.

It does look like a pimple, but that is why I suggested it could be a cyst - not sure how common a pimple would be that close to the anus, but I guess you never know. The whitish paste could be from a pimple, or it could be from an infection.
My vet (to whom I sent the photo) never got back to me. Lindsey's bump ruptured last night and released some whitish paste, after which which it looked like a very small cut (about the size of a paper cut). There was no blood, and she didn't seem bothered by it.

Today, there's some more whitish discharge, but I think the skin that overlay it is gone. Still no blood, or reddening of the surrounding skin, swelling, or any other sign of infection.

I have no idea what this is. It's completely out of my considerable experience with cats. I keep Lindsey indoors and I know that she was never injured in any way. She's always been very healthy.

After my last experience with Casper at the vet, I'm reluctant to take Lindsey without having some idea what to expect. I'm not going to let any cat of mine out of my sight there again. My relationship with all the vets there, including my regular vet who was not involved with what happened to Casper, is not great at this point, as they have all rallied around the vet who put Casper under general anesthesia without intubation (and against my explicit instructions) and left him with apparent neurological damage that is still causing intermittent tremors.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Vets within the same practice tend to back up each other - might even be a requirement, who knows. So, it would probably be a good idea to find another vet in another practice. Distrust of a vet enables vet avoidance, and that might end up being to Lindsey's disadvantage.

As I think I said earlier, white paste could either represent healing or an infection, but the whiter and pastier it is really leans more toward infection. I guess you will find out soon enough.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Defenaly an anal gland issue. Blocked perhapse in which case, it is exactly like a pimple or cyst. The secretion backs up and creates a lump.

On most cats the anal gland exits are actualy on the outside of the anus sometimes appearing as two black or white dots. Both my cats routienly express theirs when excited. The fluid is whitish or brown tinged and reeks.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vets within the same practice tend to back up each other - might even be a requirement, who knows. So, it would probably be a good idea to find another vet in another practice. Distrust of a vet enables vet avoidance, and that might end up being to Lindsey's disadvantage.

As I think I said earlier, white paste could either represent healing or an infection, but the whiter and pastier it is really leans more toward infection. I guess you will find out soon enough.
Defenaly an anal gland issue. Blocked perhapse in which case, it is exactly like a pimple or cyst. The secretion backs up and creates a lump.

On most cats the anal gland exits are actualy on the outside of the anus sometimes appearing as two black or white dots. Both my cats routienly express theirs when excited. The fluid is whitish or brown tinged and reeks.
A couple days ago, Lindsey's bump exuded some more white paste, followed by some brown fluid (neither of which had any odor), then disappeared. Now she looks completely normal.

I think an anal gland issue was probably the cause, but it appears to have resolved on its own.