Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm confused, you seem angry about buildings killing birds while sharing an article that's literally about the ways and efforts people and architects are enacting to prevent them. But you are against removing cats, another bird killer? There's no reason it needs to be one or the other, many things will need to change if we want to stop preventable wildlife deaths. Cats don't only kill birds either, they are destructive to many species and the environment in general. If I throw some trash on the ground, it's not anywhere near what the giant polluters of the world are creating, but it doesn't make it ok for me either, to share an analogy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted because people perfer to focus on cats, who usually kill the sick and dying birds rather than healthy ones, than on the problem with buildings. As you said, it is possible to consider both problems and as well as chasing down cats, do more about the buildings. And as di and bob said use some of the solutions for things, we have that are harming birds to stop the harm rather than going, ah, yes, but that would cost a bit, so no. Look! a cat chasing a mouse! it might chase a bird!

To be clear, I'm posting about buildings because they are ignored as a problem for birds. People are too easily distracted by the idea of cats killing birds because they can go after individual cats and get rid of them (that's what happens in most shelters to strays and ferals). People do this because it is easier and cheaper to go after cats than make changes in buildings and pesticide use. Cats can't fight back the way corporations can. What I'm saying is if people really want to help birds and have real courage to do so, they will go after the things that kill more healthy birds than any cat ever could.

Just a note - cats are a natural part of our environment, unless you are in Australia. Cats are in Australia because humans brought them there without their permission or desire. That makes humans demonizing cats in Australia, well, not nice.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats don't only kill birds either, they are destructive to many species and the environment in general.
You've completely lost me here. Destructive how?

Cats kill mice and rats. The bird thing is a secondary option for them, is basically a manufactured means of gaining press time for certain people, and is surely an incredibly l-o-n-g way from the mice that chew on nesting birds (petrels, albatrosses) and basically eat them alive on various islands, or those dang boas in the Everglades, et al for flatout destruction of endangered ecosystems.

Last edited: