Bronson maybe the tonk?

1nippert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, me and my girlfriend have just adopted a cat from the RSPCA and we have been told it is a tonkinese but from his markings we are not to sure. He seems to look a little bit like a snow bengal I think but if anyone could help would be much appreciated. Also he is around 7 months old and has been inside our house for close 2 months as his jabs tom some time as he was poorly. He is eager to go outside and is jumping at the door to get out. We have a very cat friendly cat neighborhood as lots of cats gather around all the other gardens and we also have a cat flap, the road outside our house is very quite too. Would people reccomend letting him outside or not. We would close the cat flap at night too to stop him being out all night. Thans for your help.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He is a very beautiful cat. I would be worried that someone might steal him if let out side. Just because he's so good looking :D

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks like a colorpoint to me. I'm sure someone with more experience will be by shortly to offer a more educated opinion on that and the indoor/outdoor question. 

He is gorgeous, though. Welcome to TCS! 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Unless the RSPCA have some documentation confirming your lovely cat's breed it is unlikely you will be able to have anything confirmed, however looking at the Wikepedia cat breed information and pictures there is a possibility that this information is correct - I have to add though that I am completely unfamiliar with this breed and it would be very useful if some member with more detailed knowledge saw your post. It seems that Tonkinese do occur in pointed colour pattern however according to Wikipedia they usually have blue eyes with this coat pattern.

Either way I think your cat is stunning.  Going by the description of the Tonkinese cat's usual personality I might prefer to have a lovely moggie that resembled one:  they sound like quite an handful! 

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Tonkinese are a rare breed of cat. Breeders are pretty good at keeping tabs on where their cats end up. Especially rare breeds.
It's hard to understand why the RSPCA would have one especially a kitten that young. I mean they are expensive to buy and if someone brought one and didn't want it anymore. They would most likely sell it to get some money back rather than just dump it.
Unless of course it was a backyard breeder that got closed down and had all their cats taken away by the RSPCA.

But anyway your cat does seen to fit the description of a tonkinese. I will point out too I'm not familiar with the breed because as I said they are rare. :D
His coat pattern/colour fits. Which is suppose to be described as neither solid or neither colourpoint. Sort of a mix of both, (called a intermediate/mink coat patten) which is actually unique to this breed which very interesting. Well worth looking up

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What a gorgeous baby.

Without registration papers he is a DSH (domestic shorthair). His pattern is lynx point, also called tabby point. This is a pattern that can occur in a number of different breeds, but not in the tonkinese. It looks like TICA allows more colors than CFA, but neither one allows the lynx point pattern.

It's hard to see his color with the different lighting in the pictures, but I think he might be dark enough to be considered seal. So his color/pattern would be seal lynx point, or possibly chocolate lynx point.

I would definitely keep him inside. There are just too many dangers for an outdoor kitty. I hope you enjoy your furbaby for many years.