Bringing the birds back for Boo

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in a condo in an urban area, and I have a 4th floor deck with a little suction cupped bird feeder, right on the other side of where my kitty has her perch. In days gone by, the birds would come and provide Juno with entertainment.

But I took the feeder down last spring when there was an outbreak of disease among the bird population and we were all advised to stop feeding them so they wouldn't spread it as easily.

That's over now and the feeder is back up, but the birds haven't come back so much. Does anyone know a good way to attract them back? I'm on the East Coast of the U.S., and it's mostly sparrows and starlings. I'm using the same bird seed as before. Are there plants I could acquire for my deck that would attract them (would have to be cat friendly, since Juno is allowed on the deck when leashed)? Or is there a second feeder you'd recommend (maybe the birds are more scared of her now, since she's no longer a kitten)?

Any ideas would be appreciated, because Juno misses her prey-pals.

20201111_130831.jpg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Happened to me. First I thought it was construction but maybe it will take them a little longer because of the outbreak? Patience! I miss them too. Outbreak was only finches. Very sad. A pinesiskin was dying on my porch

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think that you could attract squirrels 4 floors up ? If so put up a squirrel feeder high enough so that it can be seen from the ground. Once the squirrels are aware that your supplying food they should come daily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Happened to me. First I thought it was construction but maybe it will take them a little longer because of the outbreak? Patience! I miss them too. Outbreak was only finches. Very sad. A pinesiskin was dying on my porch
I didn't realize it was just the finches. They're my favorite (of the limited options that ever visit), though come to think of it, I have not seen any finches yet this spring.

Do you think that you could attract squirrels 4 floors up ? If so put up a squirrel feeder high enough so that it can be seen from the ground. Once the squirrels are aware that your supplying food they should come daily.
Sadly, no, not the way the building is laid out. My deck is not visible from the ground. I used to have a huge elm right outside my front window, and we got squirrels there a lot, but the tree (which belonged a neighbor) was not healthy and had to be taken down. Juno would have loved it; I'm actually glad the tree was taken down before I got her, because that would have been a big loss for her. Shoot, I even miss watching the squirrels...

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you mount a Bird house along the inside wall of your deck? Having the actual house hanging over the wall so that the bird poop doesn't mess up your deck floor.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't realize it was just the finches. They're my favorite (of the limited options that ever visit), though come to think of it, I have not seen any finches yet this spring.

Sadly, no, not the way the building is laid out. My deck is not visible from the ground. I used to have a huge elm right outside my front window, and we got squirrels there a lot, but the tree (which belonged a neighbor) was not healthy and had to be taken down. Juno would have loved it; I'm actually glad the tree was taken down before I got her, because that would have been a big loss for her. Shoot, I even miss watching the squirrels...
I was thinking of the bad winter storm down south year before last. Finches came down from the north with salmonia.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pine_Siskin/sound
He kept opening and closing his mouth.no sound came out and very weak
your cat will love this!

Last edited: