Breeds that carry calico?

katiee88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My baby girl is a unique looking calico... her whole litter looked very similar, even the two boys were tortoiseshells. They were dumped in a parking lot at 5 weeks. My girl is 7 now, and I've yet to see another cat who looks like her and her siblings! I'm wondering if this particular "closely-woven" calico is specific to any particular breeds? I know she's not a purebred but it would be interesting to know if she has any purebred lineage!
She's EXTREMELY vocal (it's nerve wracking, really) and VERY affectionate (translate to "needy as hell")... I've never seen her show fear other than when she was cornered by two mini schnauzers. She's really extremely dog-like... even walks on a leash and hangs her head out the window in the car.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is interesting!  You have got a prettie, and as you say, the colouring and pattern is less usual.  I have even a feeling there may be a classical tabby woved into this maze - these ginger streaks cutting into the black fur on the sides, are alike marbles.

Tortie / calico pattern is fairly strong, but in this family it was apparently very strong, as even the boys got it....

Many a breeds may carry the tortie / calico pattern.  In some breeds its not wished, so its not part of their  breed description.  Its really just the solid colored breeds alike Russian blue and korat, whom per definition cannot be calicos.

So the question is perhaps sooner, what breed ARE renown for their calicos??   

And also perhaps, what breeds MAY get the calico coloring, but its not allowed?  And thus, the kittens have ah hight risk of being dumped...  Although, no, no responsible breeder would dump them this way.  They would either sell them as pet cats, or "take the full responsibility on themselves" - which probably does happens yes.,

What happened with the siblings whom too got rescued?  Did they got their own families too, to spoil and take care of?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiee88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The litter was found by a mother and her young daughter during a hot Alabama September... they scooped them up immediately and began rehoming. My Tosca was the first to go. As I was pregnant at the time (and taking on a 5 week kitten, little crazy... but love is love) I wasn't able to follow the other siblings. Their rescuer was going to try to rehome them before taking them to a rescue or sanctuary, is what I was told... the little girl was clinging tightly to one of the boys, so I have a feeling she had claimed that one. Honestly I didn't get any more info... Tosca was tiny (still is... she sits at about 8 lbs) and covered in fleas. The vet guessed 5 weeks but she took to solid food immediately so who knows. How someone dumps a litter like that is beyond me...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiee88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When she was younger the orange had very prominent striping... like an orange tabby. It's faded a bit now but still there. And yes it does kind of weave through the black lack a marble.