Breeds Of The Cat

blitzyandshadow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
anyways i was hoping to find out what breed my kitty cat is hes a dude and we cant find what breed he is i think he mite be a wegie [thats a nickname for a cat] but i dont know help!!!!!!!!!!

View media item 143636Isnt he fat!and fluffy!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a cat :D. A fluffy handsome cat! Most cats don't have any breed, we call them domestic shorthairs/longhairs.

Norwegian Forest Cats are very rare in the U.S. so even if he had some breed in him it probably wouldn't be Wegie.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have better pics of your cat?  I want to see the head clearly.

Wegie, yes, it is a common nick for Nor-Wegian, Norwegian Forest Cat.

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is a Big Floofy Cat. :)

Honestly, without papers, you will never know, and it's likely enough that he, like most cats, simply doesn't have a breed. Quite a few cats have the big, sturdy, long-haired look that reminds you of the Norwegian Forest Cat or the Maine Coon. But there's no knowing whether they have any of those breeds in their background, because the no-particular-breed cats that we selected from to get those breeds in the first place far outnumber the purebred cats. They are the everyday mousers, lap-warmers, and companions that are just random-bred, the way cats have been for most of their history.

I should like to see a better photo of him too. The lighting in this one is a bit washed out. Try natural light, like when the cat's sitting in a window; it works best for me when I'm catching pictures of my cats.

Honestly, though, he doesn't look overweight to me. Cats with a lot of fur can look fat without being fat. The best way to tell (especially with all that fur) is to pet him and feel for his bones. If you can just feel the ribs--barely, not distinctly--then he is in the normal weight range. If the ribs are obvious, he's thin; if you can't feel them, he's fat. Pretty simple. High-quality food and more exercise usually solves the problem of an overweight cat, but an underweight cat probably needs a vet check-up. It is quite possible for a cat to simply be large without being fat; Maine Coon males have been known to reach 25 pounds and still be at a healthy weight (females are smaller, and most Maine Coons don't go to the extremes, though they are noticeably large). So it makes more sense to give the cat a good thorough cuddle and notice whether he's carrying extra weight, than to use a scale. :)

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice table.  Still think he's still a Big Floofy Cat - a Domestic Longhair.  The other one looks like a Domestic Shorthair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blitzyandshadow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thxx but anywho I named the grey one shadow I rescued him from the streets so yeah that's why the big fat fluffy one is blitz their very silky and they play with the toys I have laying around my room so I have a ton of them missing! :D but I still love them

blitzyandshadow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ill take another picture of them I just got a better camera so it will help

blitzyandshadow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got him as a baby for free his mom had kids with 2 dads so cross-breed one was a tabby which was I old cat donner (he jumped the wall) and the other looked like a Norwegian cat so yeah maybe..... 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ill take another picture of them I just got a better camera so it will help
Yeah, a couple three of good photos each are welcome!   :)

They MAY be together on the same photo, too, as long as they are clearly visible.

Last edited: