Breed of my mixed cat? anyone know?

savie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i got my little guy Finn a month ago from an aquaintance whose cat had kittens. The mother is full siamese so i guess that means hes half siamese? but they dont know who got the cat pregnant in the first place. I just want to know if anyone knows or if theres anyway to find out? all the vet said was that he was considered a standard short hair. this is also my first time ever owning a cat so i really dont know that much about cats. 

kittengrammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous the veterinary will usually just say domestic shorthair etc, but since the mom's half Siamese and I can clearly see that in the shape of his ears and mouth. I would say the daddy was a dsh tabby (which is a coat pattern) so half Siamese and tabby with dsh. Our girl Harley is also dsh & Siamese she loves to fetch mice and balls. Here's a picture of her look at her mouth shape and ears.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The breed is domestic short hair. A broken(?) mackerel tabby.  The colors are blue and white,  The proportion of color and white is called for Saddle.  You can perhaps bend it into tuxedo.

So, saddle mackerel blue and white tabby.   Something like that.

But you know the mom was supposed to be a siamese, so he is of course a half siamese to friends.  Not that its visible on him.

And yes, a point mated with non point, will usually give a non point as result.

The question is, what means to be a full siamese.   Is she a siamese with papers and everything, or is she a pointed domestic  cat whom perhaps resembles a siamese somewhat, and by this reason is called ofr a siamese??   This is very common!

minkclaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So if a black cat had kits with a brown tabby and white cat what would the kits look like?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sie is a point all right, but she is no typical siamese.  So unless this guy has papers on her, etc, I would say, she is a very nice pointed domestic.

Possibly she is even a mix of two different point genes by the looks of her: the siamese and the burmanese.  These mixes are usually quite dark already as teenage kittens.  She isnt dark on the body, but her body shape and face could pass on a burmanese point...  That is why I speculate some

I see on the photo there are several kittens - I presume its this litter, and only one blue tabby and white - yours.  The three others are white = ie points.

This means, the daddy was a point carrier, and he was tabby - as momma isnt tabby. "lynx point". He also prob carried white.  As both tabby and white spot gene is dominant, so it cant just jump out from nowhere.

But by this reason, it wasnt necessary for daddy to be tabby and white doubled up, it was enough he had just a single gene.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

So if a black cat had kits with a brown tabby and white cat what would the kits look like?
Tabby is dominat, and white patches gene is dominat too.  So at least half of the kittens will be brown tabby, and or white.  May be several combinations, not all the same.

Because these genes are dominat, its not necessary for this parent to have these genes doubled up.  IF they are doubled up, as they usually are in a purebred - all kittens will be tabbies and white.  If they arent doubled up,as they often arent, there will be several different combinations.

Colors arent dominant in the same way, save the white, so I suppose the colors will vary, both brown and black, and at least half  of the kittens will be partly white.

But Im not very knowleable on the exact genetics of colors - its often quite complicated even for them knowleable.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wait, dont I see a white spot on the mommas paw?  If so, she does carry the white patches gene (too?).

Most colors are supposed to be gender neutral, red is one of the few which is is hereditary only through momma, but I have noticed  in practice I have the impression colors come often from the momma.

Another question,  is she a tabby too after all?  Its not clearly visible, but if you manage to see the typical M on her forehead, so...

raerae624

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
StefanZ, i think there are three other kittens in the picture too, one dark gray and one tabby close to mama's tummy and another little dark gray underneath the white kittens, you can barely see just one leg sticking out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

savie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

kelentaria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mink law,
As I actually have a "kit" (grown up now), of a black Bombay and a classic mackerel tabby both dsh, I can tell you what each litter came out like. She had 4 litters before her tom passed. Somewhere between 6 and 10 kittens per litter. The tabby was long and lean, closer to the size of a bobcat or linx than tabby, he was just that big. He passed this trait to the males of his offspring. Long bodies with even longer tails.

Of the kittens, some looked just like him, some were co-domanintly colored with both white and brown stripes and black patches, others looked oddly like the pictures showed. They were almost entirely white except for their tail, edges of their paws, and sometimes crowns or splotches on their ears. They looked very much like siamese cat, but were most definitely not. I ended up with two descendants of Isis (female black Bombay) and Charlie (brown and white striped classic mackerel tabby). Charlie passed in early 2009. I had his son and grandson. Jade (named for his beautiful green eyes) and Tiger (named after a cat I had had previously that had mysteriously vanished, but looked like Charlie.)