Breathing Noises

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed recently while Harley is laying down (on his stomach, side, back - anything) -he makes a weird noise while he's breathing - you know how when you breath when you have a cold and you sound wheezy and stuffed up? Its kind of like that.

I just want to make sure its nothing serious - cuz he's never done it while we're @ the vet before - but just when he's laying down relaxed - its not snoring- I don't think - - this is more of a wheezing noise.

Maybe its nothing and I'm overreacting, but I just want to be sure.

Any help/advice would be great -

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of my cats do that too, but it never hurts to get it checked out, in case it's the start of a URI or something...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really? I just didn't want it to be anything serious - I just get worried sometimes

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Really? I just didn't want it to be anything serious - I just get worried sometimes
I would call the vet... my dog does that

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might be allergies..

My Monticello has somewhat of a persistent upper respiratory infection and he breathes pretty loud because of it. I medicated him at first but it didn't go away so the vet suggested that he has allergies. I don't know what he is allergic to but I think it may be seasonal because sometimes he has it worse than others. Just a thought.

I agree that you should have it checked.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington has wheezed and had loud breathing since I got him. But since he never did it at the vet's, and the vet couldn't hear anything through the stethoscope, he dismissed it as nothing. But I finally insisted on an Xray and there was something in his lungs. So he has been on doxycillin for a month now and it is slowly getting better. I would get it checked, though not as an emergency.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys
I'm gonna call and see if I can get him in hopefully this week yet - its not interferring with his activity or eating or anything like that, so I'm not TOO worried - although I'm just looking out for the little guy

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats both do that...

Gracie has nothing wrong with her (as of her last vet visit on 1/6) and Leo has issues with some really mild chronic URI symptoms. Other than that, we have no respirtory problems here...so I don't think it's a HUGE deal, but I'd at least CALL the vet (if not take him in) just to make sure. He could be coming down with a URI.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prego does it too. He's has the herpes virus though, so it might be a chronic kind of stuffiness. Polly doesn't do it at all.