Bpa In Canned Foods?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious how much people worry about BPA in canned foods? I know there are some brands that don't have BPA in their cans, but many do. For example, I recently found out that a brand that I really like, Rawz, has BPA. I'm feeling a bit uneasy about it. I contacted them and they did say that they are working on making their cans BPA-free, but I'm still a bit uncomfortable with feeding it right now. What do others think? Is there real reason to be worried?

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think about this as well. Most brands I buy seem to be in the newer plastic coated cans but some seem the old style tins that I think likely have BPA.
I have not seen any cat food cans that say BPA free. I do feel the cheaper older looking cans are less attractive as they seem poorer quality and cost cutting so once opened and I see that I stop buying that brand.
I buy a mix of pouches and cans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only ones I’ve seen that say BPA free are Firstmate.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't seen a lot of BPA free cans advertised. It would be great if they hurried up and made them all without that chemical as it's been shown to most likely be a major cause of hyper thyroid in cats. I learned about this too late for my Pushy. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And apparently even companies claiming to not have BPA in their cans might have a subsitute, BPS, which is just as harmful.

We just can't ever win with the pet food industry. :(

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know I am late to the party, but this thread just popped up and it's a super interesting subject. I was feeding RAWZ to my cat (though I feed it in rotation, so maybe one can a week) and I won't be feeding it anymore. I did hear that they'll be changing their cans, but I'm sure they'll be using BPS, which isn't any better.
Is there a way we could maybe make a list of companies that don't use BPA or BPS? I believe it would be super useful for the community.
I just contacted NutriSource and Whole Erath to know if their cans are safe. I'm planning on contacting a bunch more as well.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy says american journey cans are BPA free, Tiki Cat says the same.