Bowel Movements Hills CD????

petguy78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 year old cat that I have had for 6 months. He was eating Blue Buffalo Indoor Cat food both wet and dry. He developed struvite crystals/a urinary tract infection two weeks ago and needed a two week course of Clavamox. He is due to finish the Clavamox tomorrow. We did a follow up vet visit a week ago and we switched to the Hills CD. When Abe was on BB he had a bowel movement every day sometimes twice. Since the move to CD he is going every other day. The good news is he is urinating normally. I am feeding him both the wet and dry CD as recommended by the vet. I am also mixing quite a bit of water in with his feedings (he gets fed 2X per day) which seems to have helped with his frequency and size of urinations. We also purchased a water fountain bowl which he seems to love. My question is has anyone seen this decrease in bowel movements with the CD switch? Also has it decreased the occurrence of urinary tract infections in your cat?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding only the c/d wet? Or a mix of wet/dry? If you're feeding more wet food than dry, you'll see less coming out the other end, as they get more nutrition from less bulk.

When our boys all had problems around the same time (when they were 2), we just switched the entire house to c/d. We let them free feed dry and gave wet meals (we were gone very long hours at the time, and they self-regulated). (We later switched to all canned, timed feedings). Once they'd been on c/d for a while, we saw no recurrence of urinary/bladder issues. We did have to stop feeding treats, because one of the boys was obviously really sensitive (and you can't feed treats to just SOME of your cats!
).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petguy78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hills CD and he has a portion of wet and dry mixed in the AM and dry only in the PM all of the food is the CD. All of the food he gets is CD and it is mixed heavily with water to make sure he is taking in plenty of H2O. We don't give treats anymore because they don't have a Hills CD treat. We do NOT want him to have another UTI!

Thanks
Brian

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If that much of the diet is dry, then part of it may be that because it's got the corn that it's just moving through his system more slowly than the grain-free was.

If he likes pumpkin (some cats do, some just eat it, others eat if mixed into wet) you can add a tablespoon to the wet mix. It is a low-carb source of fiber that works really well to help regulate the amount of water in the colon and helps make kitties more regular.

Organic plain pumpkin. Usually found in the baking isle of supermarkets, next to the spiced pumpkin for pie (which you do NOT want!).