Born In The Wrong Century?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading about HP Lovecraft. Apparently, he felt he should've been born in the 18th century, to the extent that he dated letters 17--.

This got me thinking about my own interests. I love silent film, collect phonograph cylinders, and love reading about the history of late 19th and early 20th century technology. Clearly, I should've been alive then, right?

Wrong! The best thing to ever happen to women's fashion was ditching the corset, institutionalized racism is evil, and having the right to vote is awesome!

Any person who truly hates their own time and longs for the past is misguided and will likely always be miserable, like Lovecraft was.

Anyone else have interests that seem to belong to another time?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing to ever happen to women's fashion was ditching the corset, institutionalized racism is evil, and having the right to vote is awesome!
Yes! Not to mention that you wouldn't have the freedom to follow your own interests back then anyway. You like silent film? Too bad, WOMAN! Get back to popping out babies for your abusive husband.

Although, for Lovecraft, I imagine life for an upper-class white man wasn't too terribly different in those 100-some years. He probably would have been OK.

I don't really have any old-timey interests. I really liked historical fiction when I was a kid, but lost interest when I found out that most of it was too heavy on the FICTION part! I still like good, well-researched historical fiction but that's rare.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a lot of history (the real thing). I would choose the 18th Century (think Williamsburg), and most of my furniture is from that period. The Elizabethan era is fascinating, too. But I don't know if I could stomach chamber pots even though women didn't wear panties back then, which makes using it easier. Elizabeth I had a flush toilet, but she didn't like it because it made too much noise, she said.