Bones for Pikey the cute kitten

yoshke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys and gals,

So, we started raw feeding a few weeks ago. 

It is going nice and kitty (5 months old) smells extraordinarily better.

New problems / questions:

1. She won't eat bones. I take the chicken wing (w/o drumstick) and cut each bone to thirds, and she picks the meat off it, and refuses to eat the bone. In the past (2 weeks ago) she did eat bones. What to do?

2. Does your cat always meow in the morning for food? or should i go for dinner amounts that will keep her calm till morning (if that's possible)?

3. When should we neuter her? when will she be in heat? is there an alternative that doesn't hurt the little kitty's body?

Thanks!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CONGRATULATIONS! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1) To get some of mine to eat the bones, I basically had to cut them into bite sized pieces at first. Maybe try smaller pieces?

2) Mine don't meow for food other than around meal times. :lol3: How often are you feeding her? I feed my adult cats three times a day - before work, after work, and before bed. But a kitten will probably do better on more frequent, smaller meals.

3) There is no substitute for a spay. Our vet recommends having kittens spayed when their first baby tooth falls out, as this is the indication they've hit that "maturing" stage. That's usually around four months. Many vets recommend spaying at six months. But it is safe (based on studies) to have kitty spayed once they weigh 2 kg. Many vets won't do it when they're this young (unless they're familiar with trap-neuter-return programs) - but this is mostly based on lack of experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yoshke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1. I will try smaller pieces. It's quite frustrating - and the affects show and it's not pleasant :(

2. I will rephrase - what could it mean if our kitten meows every morning when she hears us get up / want us to get up? Usually she just wants some warmth. I want to give it but it's a pain to be woken by her. Any ideas?

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is hungry when you get up and wants to be fed that is why she is meowing. Feed her right before you go to bed and she might let you sleep a little longer. You might try not feeding her as soon as you get out of bed, brush your teeth or something first that way she won't associate you getting out of bed with feeding her.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat meows for food anytime I walk near his food bowl or the kitchen so I have no solutions for you xD lol

As for spaying, the time is either 4 months or 2kgs, so it is time. :-)