Blind Cat + Energetic Cat Relationship Help Needed

atxcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 10-year-old indoor female cat, Nova, who has pretty much completely lost her eyesight. She is completely declawed (was that way when we adopted her years ago). We introduced two indoor kittens into our home 1.5 years ago (now adults). One of them, Franklin, *really* wants Nova to pay attention to him. At least a few times a day, he runs up to her and taps her with his paw or jumps on top of her. This happens at least once at night, while Nova is asleep on our bed. He isn't aggressive; it's clearly coming from a place of a little brother saying "Play with me! Play with me!" He is otherwise a wonderful, nonaggressive cat, and his nails are regularly trimmed.

Now that Nova has limited eyesight, it really startles and upsets her. She hisses but he doesn't back off until I walk over and he walks away. Any suggestions on how to manage this behavior? I play with him constantly throughout the day, and he has plenty of toys/cat trees/etc. He plays with his sister often too (she just ignores Nova).

Thank you!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

I think I'd start by putting collars with bells onto both the young cats. That way, neither of them will be able to sneak up on Nova. Hopefully this alone will help her feel safer with them around (especially Frankin).

Other than that, just keep up with the playtime to drain Franklin's energy as much as you can. Hopefully, as he matures he'll get the message and respect Nova's space better.
Blind Cats
Our blind from birth cat Jenny, and Simon & Felix

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Playful cats are not sensitive to the old age, health or interest level of their fellow cats, and there is no way to teach that. So you can't manage the behavior much (other than trying to tire out the kittens via play which you already know doesn't normally work too well). What you can do is manage Nova's stress level. Get her a cat house with a narrow entrance so she can have a defensible space she understands. Build in some alone time into her day, petting her with the door closed, and let her sleep alone in peace. Edit: just saw the above post. Bell idea is great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

atxcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for these suggestions! The collar with a bell has helped and she loves her new little hideaway cave :)