Black smoke or silver masked smoke??

mishkatmissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my thread :)

I am just wondering if anyone can clarify for me if this little 6 week old girl is a black smoke or a silver smoke or what the correct terminology would be for her coat and pattern.
She is 1 out of 6 in the litter with this coat.
Her mum is a ragdoll and unfortunately got outside while on heat and we had a black tuxedo male hanging around that I assume did the deed lol. She isn't solely an inside cat as she loves it outside and try to take her out as much as possible.
Mum gave birth to 2 traditional colored ragdolls as well that unfortunately didn't survive, she also had 1 blue and white bi color female, a black and white bi color male and 1 solid black (although she could be a darker smoke perhaps)female. The whole litter are mitted kittens.
Also wondering if there is anyway of determining what the adult eye color would be yet as they're changing now. I'm guessing a gold, yellow or green. Would be awesome to see them keep their blue/green eyes but I don't think there's much chance of that due to their coat color but would love to be corrected if I'm wrong.
Thanks again for reading and look forward to hearing from you :)
Thanks,
Marissa aka mishkatmissy

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishkatmissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is also the only one out of the litter with the rabbit like fur unique to the ragdoll breed. The pictures don't really do her beautiful coat much justice either as she does have the black points and mask on her face. She kinda reminds me of a Maine Coone with her coloring cross ragdoll with her features and temperament if that makes sense?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder if she has the so called fever fur.  Such kittens do often look so, grayish body fur, and almost black points on head etc... But its not true point no...    It will go over with time, and she will probably be a black tuxedo.

The daddy was surely a carrier of the point gene.  OR possibly, there was a good friend to him participating.  This friend may have been a point.

You can perhaps get more traces analyzing the lengh of the fur.  Longhair gene is recessive alike the point gene. They behave quite similiar.

mishkatmissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I had researched about the fever coat too actually but the pics I found giving example of the kittens with fever coat looked much lighter so I wasn't sure. All 4 kittens are registered at the vets to be vet checked next week and get their first lot of immunizations and so hoping they can identify if it's fever coat or not? Been researching madly because her coat is so intriguing I don't want it to fade or anything lol. We would like to keep this little one. She has the sweetest personality too [emoji]128158[/emoji]

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does look kind of smoke-ish. Do you have any pictures of her at a younger age (specially her face)? Also, if she allowes can you like comb the hairs < and > way on her back (like split it) and make a picture of that? Smoke has a very specific undercoat, so that might help determine it.

Smoke comes in different grades. Some are very obvious, others are "bad" and harder to see. So it is possible, but I'm not yet convinced. Nevertheless, she is gorgeous!

mishkatmissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It does look kind of smoke-ish. Do you have any pictures of her at a younger age (specially her face)? Also, if she allowes can you like comb the hairs way on her back (like split it) and make a picture of that? Smoke has a very specific undercoat, so that might help determine it.

Smoke comes in different grades. Some are very obvious, others are "bad" and harder to see. So it is possible, but I'm not yet convinced. Nevertheless, she is gorgeous!
Thank you for your reply Biancavd :)
I can upload her more pics of her for sure

mishkatmissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This one was when she was only a couple weeks old. Coat is lightening up as the weeks go by which is why I disregarded the fever coat theory as I believe her coat should be darkening not lightening if it were due to fever coat

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I wonder if she has the so called fever fur.  Such kittens do often look so, grayish body fur, and almost black points on head etc... But its not true point no...    It will go over with time, and she will probably be a black tuxedo.

The daddy was surely a carrier of the point gene.  OR possibly, there was a good friend to him participating.  This friend may have been a point.

You can perhaps get more traces analyzing the lengh of the fur.  Longhair gene is recessive alike the point gene. They behave quite similiar.
 What are friends for anyway??  A friend in need truly is a friend indeed!